Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
DEEEEEEEATH PONY !!

Talking HEH! just revived a RCA AR-77

I'll try and take some pictures later, buuuuuuuuuuuut:

so a couple months ago I scored this RCA AR-77, a pair of Pioneer CS-88 woofers, and a pair of HUGE 850CT Power Transformers from a guy at the MIT Radio Swap Meet (3rd Sunday of every month during Spring - Fall )

Today I FINALLY got around to bringing the AR-77 up from the depths of the basement to test it, and see if I could make it go. I had scored the Sams Folder online a whiler ago, so I printed that out for reference. All the crazy controls on the front kinda baffled me Plugged it in, wired an antenna, and a speaker, and brought it up slow on the variac.

All the tubes were lighting happily, but no sound . . more importantly, no HUM, so I knew the Power Supply caps were good to go

Started pulling tubes, and testing. Turns out, half the tubes were very weak, or TOAST, sooooo.. . back to the basement I go Pulled a good 6H6 from an old tube Voltmeter - pulled a good 6F6GT from a Sparton radio Chassis. Had a box of mixed used / NIB metal tubes, and snagged a NIB 6SJ7. Rectifier tube 'shoulda' been a 5Z4, but there was a 5U4 in its place. grabbed a NIB GE 5Y3GT, since ratings are the same (thank you TDSL )

WOO HOO ! !! WE HAVE SOUND !

AM is coming in great, and pulled a couple SW channels in . . . try again tonight when reception is better.

ANOTHER RADIO BACK FROM THE DEAD, AND CERTAIN DUMPSTER DEATH!

Main system: DIY KLH OB Line Arrays & Altec stuffed Karlson 15's, DOD active Xover; tubes on arrays, SS on Karlsons
Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 AM
tube gear fanatic

nice receiver:i always wanted a ar77 to go with my rca ar88lf and rca cr91 but havnt gotten around to getting one yet.as with being a vintage audio gear collector my other sickness is old "boatanchor" receiver collecting.as for picking up only a few s/w frequencies only alot will depend on what your using for a antenna and where your tuning on the dial at what time.different bands will come in better at certain times.if you can even get a simple longwire streched outside your reception will improve greatly.enjoy.

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, I've always about half wanted one of them, too...Always seem to miss 'em or they go too high on Da Bay... RCA at one time, DID know how to make a good radio...
Old 07-05-2007, 08:05 AM
DEEEEEEEATH PONY !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
nice receiver:i always wanted a ar77 to go with my rca ar88lf and rca cr91 but havnt gotten around to getting one yet.as with being a vintage audio gear collector my other sickness is old "boatanchor" receiver collecting.as for picking up only a few s/w frequencies only alot will depend on what your using for a antenna and where your tuning on the dial at what time.different bands will come in better at certain times.if you can even get a simple longwire streched outside your reception will improve greatly.enjoy.
yeah . . . weather was not ideal last night (cloudy, rainy). I strung up a 50 foot length of antenna inside our sunroom (my wife's face as I did this was priceless ) but I'll take your suggestion and string one outside to see what I can pickup.

even with the non-ideal setup, I was pulling in some oldies AM stations, and on other bands I heard Caribbean, German, and Chinese

I do have a 1946 Magnavox which picks up SW, so it'll be interesting to see the RCA's performance in comparison.

Main system: DIY KLH OB Line Arrays & Altec stuffed Karlson 15's, DOD active Xover; tubes on arrays, SS on Karlsons
Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Lambda Acoustics!!!

where the heck are the pics?

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx
Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 AM
DEEEEEEEATH PONY !!

ok - you guys have been in suspense long enough : )

PICTURES !

the flash REALLY shows off all the grime (I have yet to clean this beast). it's missing (I think) a peice of glass that fits over the dial assembly - notice the old black adhesive residue.

radioactive - do you think I could get a piece of glass cut to fit ?

This baby should look much better after a good dose of Simple Green I especially like the two chrome strips that run around the whole face and sides - very '1938 chevy'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.jpg (50.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.jpg (43.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1783.jpg (48.6 KB, 19 views)

Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Lambda Acoustics!!!

thats an awesome unit...! no FM right?

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cor blimey that thing is ugly on the outside!

Not bad looking inside, though...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:11 AM
DEEEEEEEATH PONY !!

oh no . . . FM ?!?!? what the hell is FM ?!?!?! this is 1945 !

Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Lambda Acoustics!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus View Post
oh no . . . FM ?!?!? what the hell is FM ?!?!?! this is 1945 !

Doh!!

Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 AM
DEEEEEEEATH PONY !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
Cor blimey that thing is ugly on the outside!

Not bad looking inside, though...
Careful - you'll make her mad and she'll stop working . . .

Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
tube gear fanatic

radioactive - do you think I could get a piece of glass cut to fit ?

i dont see why not.

Quote:

I do have a 1946 Magnavox which picks up SW, so it'll be interesting to see the RCA's performance in comparison.
the rca should be able to run circles around the magnavox if aligned and working properly.

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 PM
DEEEEEEEATH PONY !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactive View Post

the rca should be able to run circles around the magnavox if aligned and working properly.
how would I know if it needs alignment ? Even with the rain tonight, I'm picking up transmissions on practically all bands - and thats with the rainy weather.

I tried running the 50 foot antenna wire outside, but seem to get much better reception with it 'in room - its pretty much strung up around 3/4 of the perimeter of the room . .

The sam's folder didn't seem to talk about this, but I guess the left dial is for tuning, and the right dial is for fine tuning ?? Is that right ?

All I know is it's frickin' cool to be picking up Chinese, Russian, and many other 'across the world' signals. Even listened to a little Radio Japan

Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, is a station at 1300 KC actually coming in on 1300 KC ? If it's coming in at 1000 KC or 1450 KC, you COULD need an alignment... Be vewwy, vewwy careful getting Simple Green-or any other cleaner on the dial faces-they are often water-soluable, & go buh-bye REAL easy. Been there, done that. 409, Windex, any of that stuff can also "etch" the paint & aluminum surfaces, & leave ugly streaks. Use LOTS of paper towels, OLD rags, soft bristled toothbrushes, be GENTLE w/it..Try to test cleaners on an inconspicuous place if you can. Take your time. That radio has waited nearly 65 years to meet you...Don't bugger it up first meeting!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 PM
DEEEEEEEATH PONY !!

oofta . . . maybe I won't clean it - I've always liked patina Nothing like a buggered first date

How 'bout just some mild dishwashing detergent & some water ? Last thing I want to do is f it up . . .

If one band is in alignment, would all of them be ? I know the oldies station is 1280 . . I'll check it out tomorrow.

Right now I'm listening to my KLH 6's and Magnavox 6BQ5 PP amp playing Jazz ala Mode

thanks for the tips Radioactive AND SANDY (DOH ! where are my manners ?!?)

Audiokarma