Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Got me a Korting...

..It seems to be a little more than a radio, but not quite a receiver. 8 tubes, very "1967-ish" looking, made in Der Fatherland for a Schneider Sound Equipment Ltd in Toronto. Sez its a Korting "Trident A" model 64124CM. Of course, there's nothing about it anywhere. Has those funkay German-DIN Lautensprecher hookups..I guess I can just stick wires into 'em, but I worry about the impedance. Being a Superior German Product, of course a plebian 8 ohm rating wouldn't do, but it's not marked on as to what it is. Well, I'll play w/it some more tonite when I get home...-Unca Sandy
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I love old European radios too. Do you have any pics? I think if it has speaker sockets that look like 1 round and 1 flat connector it is for 4 to 8 ohms. I have a Philips b5x94a that use 3 pins in a Y shape for the aux speakers which are 800 ohms. hope i never need a replacement speaker for that one. Logan
Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Audiophool

I don't find anything close on radomuseum.org... no "Trident", no "64124" - there's a Korting model 64, but it's a console...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm just wondering if it wasn't an OEM for that stereo shop in Toronto...It came from a guy in Toronto...It was supposedly "gone thru" by the seller's tech up there. We shall see..He DID ship it out to me B4 he got my payment...And it was in pretty much the shape it was supposed to be in, at least cosmetically...One of the tubes had vibrated loose & was rattlin' around inside, but that's neither here nor there..I'll be interested to hook it up tonite...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
What, me worry?

Sandy found'a Korting and he did ride

Imhmmm Imhmmm

Pete

Homer Simpson
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Near and Far Horizons

There he goes again...we gotta get Sandy a digi-cam!

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"

Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Sandy, I've searched online and your radio does not exist, therefore it is illegal. Your in Luck though, there happens to be a illegal radio disposal site in your state. In Gallatin Tn to be exact. Ship it to me and i'll happily dispose of it in a controlled regulated environment. But seriously here is a link to a website that lists Körting radios
http://www.geocities.com/radioflier.geo/korting.htm maybe that number you quoted is the serial number instead of a model number. I'd check the tube lineup versus the ones listed on his page, it might give you a idea what chassis they used if it is a OEM for Schneider Sound Equipment Ltd. Logan
Old 08-01-2007, 12:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a nice Lowe-Opta table model Shortwave that I have been thinking of unloading if anyones interested. Just thought I would add this here as there seem to be a few that like European radios. These radios were WAY ahead of their time I think. The FM sound quality is phenominal. PM me if interested...
Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 PM
AK Member

I just got home from picking up an old AJA radio from the mid 50's myself. Found it listed on Craigs list. Found a bit of history on the company which produced radios between 1952 & 1957. They went bankrupt in 57 and had just made and sold componets for radios and kits prior to 52. The acronym stands for the founder Alfred Jentsch (Aparatus). Seems like the speakers are pretty nice quality though the main woofer is kind of small. There are two smaller mid range speaker on the ends of the cabinet and tweeter facing forward front next to the woofer. Radio has AM FM Shortwave and hookups for Phono. Same rear plug Sandy mentioned. Tuning eye lights up and works but not sure if its 100%. Still trying to figure out the tuning adjustments too. A little scratchy but works. Cabinet needs to be relaquered but overall a cool vintage radio!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You boys is gonna Kick My Ass...An' I deserve it. In putting the Tooob back in, I had to partially dis-assemble the Korting. I pulled off the power connector spade terminals, re-seated the tube-you couldn't see where it went unless the chassis was pulled out. Anyhow, buttoned everything back up, hooked up the Spade Terminals, plugged 'er in, & -FLASH !-the lights go out in another room of my house. Somehow, I must have hooked 'em up to the European 220 volt lugs. I HOPE I didn't bollix up the radio-just popped a fuse. I'm gonna take it to Terry's this weekend-I hope he don't toss me & it out on my ear for being so DUMB. Wish me luck-this is really a nice set, & I'm sure it sounds-erm, SOUNDED-quite nice...-Unca Sandy
Old 08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

It may not be hopeless yet, 120 volts into a 220 tap only makes the radio run a half voltage. If this blew a circuit breaker in your house, then you have a short somewhere. Good luck on that Radio, I hope it is simpler that it looks. Logan
Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 PM
AK Member

Not my radio but a photo of the radio I just picked up.

Sandy-Yikes, I bet you jumped when that happened. Hope it turns out to be ok!