Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 AM
VK Member

HELP with Betamax SL-HF860D part compatibility (loading mechanism)

Hello everyone, not sure where this is best put so I put it here... I have a Sony Betamax SL-HF860D that needs a new loading mechanism, a complete one including the motor. My unit works perfectly EXCEPT now I need to replace the entire loading mechanism. I decided to fix something that wasn’t broken and, well, that was a bad idea. If it aint broke…

My question is this: does anyone know which models loading mechanism is COMPATIBLE with the SL- HF860D? is the HF400, 600, 900 etc compatible? I just want to track down a parts machine… any help would be super! – thanks in advance.

Last edited by bradman16; 02-05-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Thinking in color...

That's a question for the Magnetic Media section, where all the talk about VCRs is. Repost there and you probably'll find an answer.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Until the thread goes to the magnetic topic, I'll post here.... Have you tried ordering new from Sony? They're pretty good on Betamax parts. As far as I remember, the 860 has the same loader as the SLHF1000, and as some of the lower end ones too; SL-S600, etc. Not sure about the 900, which is a few years earlier model. It's not compatible with the 870, which is the motorized slide-out drawer (IF that's the one I'm thinking of, and could be off on that number. Been awhile!).

Charles
Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colortrakker View Post
That's a question for the Magnetic Media section, where all the talk about VCRs is. Repost there and you probably'll find an answer.
Thanks!
Audiokarma
Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Is it one that's driven by a toothed belt from the top of the threading mechanism? If it is, then most front loading Sony's from the time should be similar, or identical.

Which part is broken? The last time I needed to repair one, the part I needed was available without having to replace the whole loading mechanism.
Hi, no, there is no belt, I have other loading mechanisms from other betamax models and they are different, I know the one you are referring to, with the orange belt. This one has a little motor with a spiral shaft which drives most of it, the part that's broken is really broken, it's the frame. I would like to just replace it, if I found the exact one it just screws in, re-wire the motor and I am done. It's just finding the part, I'd buy an otherwise broken machine if I knew the compatibility...I *think* some of the HF models are similar...but I am not sure, that is why I have posted here...what model did you work on? a SL 2300/2400? Thanks...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
Until the thread goes to the magnetic topic, I'll post here.... Have you tried ordering new from Sony? They're pretty good on Betamax parts. As far as I remember, the 860 has the same loader as the SLHF1000, and as some of the lower end ones too; SL-S600, etc. Not sure about the 900, which is a few years earlier model. It's not compatible with the 870, which is the motorized slide-out drawer (IF that's the one I'm thinking of, and could be off on that number. Been awhile!).

Charles
Hi I will move this thread...the one you are thinking of is the SL-HF750 with the cool slide out drawer...I have seen this loader before I just cant remember what model. I will post a picture when I re-locate the thread. thanks!!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 PM
VK Member

Ok, I have posted a picture of the inside of the machine, you can see the type of mechanism it is now, still haven't figured out what is compatible, i will post back here if I do
Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

The SL-HF400 and HF600 are not compatible with your HF860D. The 860D appears to have dedicated motor just for cassette loading, whereas the HF400 and HF600 use the tape threading motor with a belt going from the threading motor to the cassette loading mechanism.

I'm not sure what other models use the HF860D mechanism, though you might want to try Encompass Parts. That's where I got a replacement gear for the loading mechanism for my HF600.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
AK Member

I have one of those mechanisms

No its the S600 that has the same loading mechanism. I have a parts unit if you're interested, I don't know what parts you need, but the tape slides along two plastic parts with a pair of nubs that fit into a track slot also plastic. One of these are broken I attempted to repair with epoxy but couldn't get it to work. The motor and other loading mechanism parts are good though. You can disassemble the entire assembly, putting it back together is somewhat of a puzzle but it works out eventually.
Audiokarma