Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Those PV-9000s, the linear audio 8000s, the tabletop 1730, and any that shared that DD reel chassis, I saw a lot of worn out drum bearings. Some would stick and not start up but would run with a little push, some the bearing would wear and wobble as it spun causing tracking problems and audible flutter in the linear audio. Would show up on the REC-PB RF envelope with wavy tops and bottoms instead of flat.

At the time I would have bought either a 1730 or a 9000 if they had MTS stereo but they came out too early. In '84 Mitsubishi came out with the HS-400U 2-head with hi-fi and MTS but mono linear audio, then followed with the HS-430U I ended up buying since it had Hi-Fi and linear stereo with Dolby for my old linear stereo tapes I recorded on either a PV-6000 linear stereo portable or a PV-1780 top-loader with Dolby linear stereo.

We had Warner Amex cable in the early '80s with MTV and Showtime stereo audio on FM radio carriers you'd tune to and use that "simulcast" switch on the VCR to feed in external audio.

That HS-430 was about $900 at "Videoland". I remember going there at lunch to buy one, they had a pallet stacked with them. Was a fairly popular model loaded with lots of features and problems.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

And based on my 17 years of experience restoring and repairing VCRs, I found Toshiba built the most-reliable and longest-lasting S-VHS VCRs. Toshiba SV-771 is one highly-reliable model, for example.

Who saw some (or maybe none)?