Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

1951 Zenith Won at Mclarin Auction Oregon

Hey Guys... I won this 51 Zenith for $160 and a 1950 RCA that used the same CRT I won for $40. The tube was broken on front in the Zenith as seen in the pictures so I am using the tube from the RCA in it. The tube checks good from the RCA but not great, should make a decent picture I hope. I have recapped the set and when powered up found it had no high voltage. I could see the width coil looked burnt so I detached one of the wires coming from the fly to it since this is Variable inductance shunted across the secondary of the Flyback. I got High voltage after that. However the image is very narrow horizontally and more narrow at the bottom then the top. I am trying to find a width coil with no luck. I even made something up with old coils that seemed close and got the same results.
Any one worked on these know if without the width coil in the circuit would it normally fill out the screen? I jumped across it and it does not. Seems like it would, All the voltages are there going to the horizontal section.

Thanks I appreciate any help on this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 2020 at Auction (3).jpg (63.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01604.jpg (68.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 10:00 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Don't know the answer to whether it should fill the screen or not without the width coil.

Picture different width top to bottom could be a bad yoke, but I wouldn't say for sure without the width coil working.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the reply! That's a good call, I will have to unhook the yoke and test it.