Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

B&K 1076 Tv Analyser

Hi my name is Cliff

May i ask a question

dose anyone on here use a B&K 1076 TV ANALYSER

can you please tell me what type of test leads or test probes are need are they a staight wiere with a banana juch on 1 end and a alagater clip on the other ends or are there resisters or and diodes or end capcitors in the test leads or test probs.

also the tube chart lists a ( 931 A ) tube and theres a rca 4422 tube in the unit is a rca 442 tub a replcement or sub or the 931a.

any information i would be greatfull and thanks you for taking the time to read my message.

Thanks
Cliff1050
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

931a was probably the most common photomultiplier tube. 4422 is also a photomultiplier, but I haven't found references to say what the difference is. Maybe just better specs.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

bananna plugs with clip leads.

you may need a bnc male with clips on the end of the coax

dont worry about the tubes. i doubt they will be an issue.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

rca 4422 photomultiplier tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
931a was probably the most common photomultiplier tube. 4422 is also a photomultiplier, but I haven't found references to say what the difference is. Maybe just better specs.
yes i was asking is the rca 4422 photomultiplier tube. a sub or a sub replacement for the 931aphotomultiplier tube.
i have the tub spec for the 931a but can not find any specs or info for the rca 4422 tube all i can say is thank you for the info any info helps maybe some one has or knows if the 931a & 4422 are interchageeable or will sub each other so thanks again. Cliff1050
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

B&k 1076 tv tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
bananna plugs with clip leads.

you may need a bnc male with clips on the end of the coax

dont worry about the tubes. i doubt they will be an issue.
well thanks for the info i just got the b&k 1076 tester not shure if the test leeds need any componts for isolation so i do not short or load down the the tvs test points so thanks again have you got the b&k 1076 tester and how good is it i wil be restoring 5 admiral 19a1 televisions i have 5 of them.

so thanks again
cliff1050
Audiokarma
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting question.

I have several B&K 1077B's - functionally the same as your 1076. One of mine came with some probes but they were pretty cruddy and I just assumed they were straight through.

I ordered a few of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320848757247...84.m1439.l2649

I have only used my 1077B's to put up a test image. Have not injected signals to debug a circuit yet. But, looking forward to using the 1077B when I get my next TV.

I think other than the Flyback testing that the probes are basically straight through. You *might* need a capacitor between the TV and the B&K test probe for certain uses.

I have the B&K 1076 manual in PDF format if you need it.

There is a book that shows how to use the B&K 1076:
Television Analyzing Simplified - by Milton S. Kiver
I really like this book.

Don't recall anything in the book about the probes. So, your question has piqued my interest too.

Now the "sister" device to these is the B&K 415 Sweep/Marker generator. It has a few probes that are definitely not straight through.

Carl
Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have an extra copy of television Analyzing simplified. You can have it for what I paid for it. Send me a PM if interested. It is a good resource.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Moved this to Diagnostic & Test Equipment.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
RCA 741PCS

This website has some info too: http://www.wkinsler.com/radios/analyst.html
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

B&k 1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
Interesting question.

I have several B&K 1077B's - functionally the same as your 1076. One of mine came with some probes but they were pretty cruddy and I just assumed they were straight through.

I have only used my 1077B's to put up a test image. Have not injected signals to debug a circuit yet. But, looking forward to using the 1077B when I get my next TV.

I think other than the Flyback testing that the probes are basically straight through. You *might* need a capacitor between the TV and the B&K test probe for certain uses.

I really like this book.

Don't recall anything in the book about the probes. So, your question has piqued my interest too.

Now the "sister" device to these is the B&K 415 Sweep/Marker generator. It has a few probes that are definitely not straight through.

Carl
your test leads are bnc type there is no bnc connecters on the b&k 1076

but thanks anyway for the info like i say any info is helpfull
my b&k has a few tubes that are week i could add a bncconnecter on the back of the unit ive tryed it out the pic was not to clean but i ws testing on a tv that should be scrapped a old 5 in citazin tv i found on the street.
so i need to get the old screw on center pin mic type connecter
so my b&k needs a littlie work on it it has almost all original tubes in it
so it might be a while before i get to it but its doing what its made for so thanks again.
Cliff
Audiokarma
Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
M is for Memory

Sometimes it is easy to swap the old screw connectors for BNC.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

book

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhallone View Post
I have an extra copy of television Analyzing simplified. You can have it for what I paid for it. Send me a PM if interested. It is a good resource.
Hello newhallone,
I'm new to this forum as of today, I'm sorry I don't know if I private contact is OK? or if I should post it somewhere else.
If you still have TV analyzing simplified, I will be interested in buying it from you. Would you ship it to Ontario, Canada? and how would I pay you?
Kind regards,
Tony at www.radiodoctor.org
or radiodoctor@xplornet.ca
Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

pdf manual for B&K1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
Interesting question.

I really like this book.

Carl
Hello Carl,
I just e-mailed you and I don't know if I did it right. I'm new here as of today.
If you still have pdf manual for b&k 1076, would you please e-mail it to me? I just got this analyst and want to restore it.
Kind regards, Tony at www.radiodoctor.org or radiodoctor@xplornet.ca
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Technohippie

Re:4422 vs. 931A

Many of RCA's 4000-series tubes were "specials", sold only to one customer. This appears to be one of them, as I can't find ANYTHING about it in my somewhat extensive collection of tube manuals. Not in any of the 3 different vintage RCA/Burle PMT manuals, the RCA HB-3 tube handbook, a couple RCA specialty tube databooks or even Sibley's "Tube Lore". A real orphan, apparently.

My best guess is that it was a "selected" 931A pulled from normal production runs and rebranded. Note that "selected" doesn't necessarily mean a better tube. The TV analyst (flying spot scanners in general) is not at all a demanding application, as there is plenty of light available and frequency response isn't all that high. Perhaps the 4422 is a tube that wasn't "good enough" to be a full-spec 931A, and was sold to B&K at a bargain price?

The 931A works just fine in place of the 4422, and is much easier to find.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
... If you still have TV analyzing simplified, I will be interested in buying it from you...
Thanks to 'mbear2k', you can can download it for free here: http://oldtubes.net/library/free_man...Simplified.pdf

Browse the whole library here: http://oldtubes.net/library/free_manuals/