Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Phillips LDK-3 for sensible sale in Sydney

Hello Folks!

Its time to sensibly start looking for a new home for my two Phillips LDK-3 colour cameras, located in Sydney, Australia.

Its a regretful sale, as I have spent valuable time and some money acquiring, rescuing and cleaning them, and I am fortunate to be in no mad rush to sell, as they are now safe and securely stored. These are reasonably rare in Australia, as the eventual timing of C-day in 1975 meant Phillips wanted to push the LDK-5, Marconi the MK-VIII and RCA the TK-45. This pair have quite a history, much of it reflected in the accompanying documents.

However as one travels in life, one gets the feeling too many other commitments and projects need to take priority. Besides that, the price of living in Sydney, supporting my Mother and her house, and the cost of rooms and real estate, means these cameras (and my other Marconi/RCA gear) are now representing an opportunity cost of about $120 per week in missed uni student bedroom rental !

So do some of your own research, and realize the size and weight of such an historical purchase. Make some space in your house, workshop or seal up that garage and transform it into a restoration studio! Remember they are located in suburban Sydney, Australia ...

Sensible, genuine and realistic offers will then be happily considered when we speak.

Thanks for your consideration, Cheers, Michael 0402 008 531

Last edited by Video Head; 11-08-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I would LOVE to have 'em, but the practical realities of trying to ship something of that size & weight from Oz to NE Bugtussle, not to mention I likely COULDN'T afford 'em in the first place, would make such a transaction even more miraculous than the Loaves & Fishes parable... In any event, best of luck on yr sale !
Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

The later LDK-5 was a real step down in picture quality but Philips pushed them for Australia in the early 1970s.

Last edited by NewVista; 04-08-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I saw an LDK-3 running in Aust c.1981: It was private contractors at Bris racecourse sending races by closed circuit Telco µwave-link to Syd & Melb racecourses. I was working on private µwave link and peeked in on main monitor between races when cameraman would rehearse shots or pan crowd for femmes @ director's request. Its pictures were resplendent, glad I got to see CC LDK-3 pictures. Who knows where this camera came from, maybe imported used from Europe?

Last edited by NewVista; 04-08-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Never seen a LDK3, But the LDK5 was a Great Camera .
Audiokarma
Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

it would be cool to have ,but like Sandy said it cost alot to get it. plus how would it hold up to shipping all that way, we know how gentile they are in the shipping world.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCAM View Post
Never seen a LDK3.
Think of PQ better than MkVIII approaching Fernseh
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

The problem with any old equipment being sold for large sums is that the market for these consists only of a handful of people worldwide who are in exactly the same situation of
- little money
- no space
- far apart from other collectors
- trying to downsize the collection they already have

Therefore, usually its virtually impossible to find homes for equipment unless its virtually free for the taking.

When those LDK cameras were seeking a new home some years ago in Brisbane before videohead (posted above) took ownership of them i and a friend had contacted every collector and "museum" we knew of across australia and the globe, all were in the same situation as we were...no space, no money, etc

Sadly this is why a lot of equipment goes, because it comes to the crunch one day and people have to dispose of them as painful as it is. (eeek)... I worry about the cameras i have here as i have put a call out many times to museums and collectors who might like to be listed in my will as potential guardians of my cameras if the worst should ever happen to me...no, the floods of responses never come in.

I hope they find a good home, I could afford to ship them but it would be an outlay, but i cant really store them as no space, and currently struggling with storing what i already do have, the cost to get them running would also likely be a large factor, if parts can be sourced, its usually not cheap as its considered "vintage" so $$$ signs are added each time.

Personally I'd be happy just buying a big shed and living in there with the gear...concrete floor to put all the weight i like on!...

sadly its all $$$ which many like me dont have.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Your right about space! I found the best way of storage is to use every bit of floor space , by buying shelves that can hold the weight .That way you can go up and it takes less floor space .I've got 2 Marconi Mk 8,s on one Shelve (Each end close to legs ,Put wood under them to spread the weight). All Power Supply,s /CCU/s on the next level up .Took the same floor space as when just sitting on the floor . If it was not for us Private Collectors these Cameras would be lost for ever (Don't rely on museums).
Old 07-04-2014, 07:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks to all,so far, for your best wishes. This is a long campaign precisely because of their size. Best of luck to you all with your collections. Cheers MJH
Audiokarma
Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

It depends what you want to do with these cameras-props or working condition?

At the Museum of Broadcast Technology in the US, we have several cameras in the LDK-3 series (PC60/70 in the US), and we have found that the vertical windings in the yokes frequently open up. Philips sold the yokes to other camera makers, including RCA and Ikegami, and it is a common problem also in these cameras.

Another trouble spot is the beam splitter-delamination is common, although I have seen some prisms that are approaching 50 years in good shape.

Electrolytics need replacement-that goes without saying.

The LDK-3 series revolutionized camera design, even humbling "The Most Trusted Name in Electronics" to adopt its basic design. It was a remarkably simple design, and during colour conversion, people were lined up to buy them. Philips (Norelco) could not make them fast enough, so some customers had to settle for the TK-42 or the GE PE-250/350.

I tip of the hat to the folks in Eindhoven and Breda.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Turn down the sound & Watch vintage LDK-3 broadcast quality vintage video Saturdays on PBS Lawrence Welk replays nicely upscaled to 720p.

Last edited by NewVista; 07-18-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks J Ballard !

Tips and experience with the actual model are always gold to a hopeful restorer. I still have these, and hope to get the CCU racks out and photographed this summer - they really are quite a sight.

To replace every electrolytic capacitor would be a mighty task, and if I had more time and money I would start with one board, and just keep going until done. One cant really do anything else until this tedious but unavoidable task is done - rather like removing rust when restoring a classic car.

The yokes going open circuit is new to me - thanks - and could obviously be checked before powering up - if I ever get to that stage. I have two camera heads so the odds of getting at least 3 working yokes are very good. Same with the optics.

If your ever in Sydney, Australia and ever want to arrange an inspection, so that you know what your buying / getting into, please call 0402 008 531.

Cheers
Michael
Old 08-17-2021, 03:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

2021 August update - Still available

Hello Folks!

Just a very brief note that to say that my dear old Mum has gone to God. At 92 she was cared for well by me to the near end, and loved by many.

So I have a window of time to find a new home for me, and all my collections, and I guess this is another opportunity to potentially slim down my camera collection - regretfully.

So feel free to contact me on 0402 008 531 if your seeking a "classic colour TV camera challenge" ... !

I will try and take some up to date pictures of the LDK-3 CCU and heads, and load them up soon.

Cheers

Michael