Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Dual 1229 turntable help

I just got one of these, and having no experience with turntables above consumer-grade units I don't want to set something wrong and chew up any records. Also, the motor won't stop running, even if the platter is stationary and the switch off. Finally, the start switch will raise the tone arm but it just goes back down and the unit stops. Anyone here have experience with these? Thanks for any tips.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe the guide arm on those is friction driven- and the rubber tip is long rotted away. I believe replacements are available, but I just used a small piece of rubber hose. With that replaced, the stylus arm should swing back and forth.

Can't say exactly why your motor runs nonstop, but the other is a common issue with these. Sorry for the awful description, but I rebuilt one for a friend years ago. Hope it helps.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like things are gummed up from old hardened lube. Duals are tricky to work on, everything needs to be on spec. I work on VM, garrard, and Glaser steers changers, but I dont think I will tackle a Dual, I have a couple of them with simiar issues. if you do dig into it yourself, get the service manual!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Seems to be a lot about them online....
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

This might help on the tone arm problem:
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable...309684#p309684
jr
Audiokarma
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think hi fi engine has the service manual for this tt. You'll be happy with the results when you get this thing fixed. They are nice tts.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Seems to be a lot about them online....
Yeah, but for a newbie with no experience with prosumer turntables the info is way over my head. I guess I was hoping someone could "translate" for me. Pitch control? Anti-skating control? Whassat? Haha. I have a lot to learn. Anyway, thx for the responses so far.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pitch control is another name for speed control. Anti-skate is used to compensate for the natural tendancy of the tonearm to want to slide towards the center of the record. Some turntables are calibrated so that the tracking force is in a ratio of the anti-skate control. About the easiest way to adjust the anti-skate is to cue the tonearm over the beginning of the record and let it down. If it skates toward the center of the record, adjust the control one direction. If it skates outward, adjust the control the other way. You want it so that the tonearm comes down and doesn't skate inward or outward.
I have a Dual 1219 that was froze up from old grease. A good cleaning and new grease got it running tip top. Don't go overboard on the grease and oil, some parts rely on friction to operate properly. Do a Google search on the 1219 or 1229 maintenance and you'll find a lot of useful information on maintaining and keeping it running smoothly. I use my 1219 mostly for 78's, and a Pioneer PL-630 for LP's and 45's.
Good luck.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
Pitch control is another name for speed control. Anti-skate is used to compensate for the natural tendancy of the tonearm to want to slide towards the center of the record. Some turntables are calibrated so that the tracking force is in a ratio of the anti-skate control. About the easiest way to adjust the anti-skate is to cue the tonearm over the beginning of the record and let it down. If it skates toward the center of the record, adjust the control one direction. If it skates outward, adjust the control the other way. You want it so that the tonearm comes down and doesn't skate inward or outward.
I have a Dual 1219 that was froze up from old grease. A good cleaning and new grease got it running tip top. Don't go overboard on the grease and oil, some parts rely on friction to operate properly. Do a Google search on the 1219 or 1229 maintenance and you'll find a lot of useful information on maintaining and keeping it running smoothly. I use my 1219 mostly for 78's, and a Pioneer PL-630 for LP's and 45's.
Good luck.
Super, thanks. I guess a bit of initial skating won't mess up a record. There's one more control I forgot to mention: strobe. The numbers 33 and 45 are visible through a lens in the middle of the knob, but they remain stationary no matter which way the knob is positioned.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can't help any on the strobe except it might depend on the angle you are looking at it. My 1219 doesn't have a strobe.
Here is a link to a guide for maintaining the 1219 and 1229.

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/...20Amateurs.pdf
Old 04-24-2014, 07:38 PM
M is for Memory

A stroboscope is a disc with a series of dots that when illuminated with pulsed light (usually pulsed at 60Hz) will appear to be stationary despite the disc they're on moving if the strobe disc is being spun at EXACTLY the right speed.

Adjust your TTs pitch control for stationary strobe dots to dial in the speed.

If there is no light on your strobe then light it with, florescent, LED or neon.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Interesting, I've got to check that out. The Sams for my 1975 Ford 8-track stereos describes a similar procedure for speed adjustment.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I see it now, after having watched a demo of a 1229 on YouTube. The light on mine cuts out after a few seconds though, another problem to lick. All the strobe dial does is vary the angle of the lens. I was wondering why it rotated at all considering that I have to observe it while fine-tuning the pitch control.

The cabinet is a cheapie of some obscure brand name whose label I removed. There is a very flimsy plastic insert for where the multi-disc spindle and 45 adapter are to be stored.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some possibly useful strobe info here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=363396
jr
Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Well, almost five months later I removed the bottom cover to troubleshoot. Turns out a sticking switch arm is preventing the tone arm from swinging onto the record *and* preventing the motor from turning off. I'm going to have to take some reference photos to get this thing back together after doing a lube job. One question I have for now, does anyone know what voltage the strobe light runs at? The service manual doesn't mention this. I don't want to select the wrong range on my meter and blow the thing. If I can't find a NOS OEM lamp I may have to figure out a way to fit it with a NE-2H light, or whatever may fit the bill better. I'd really like to have the strobe light operating reliably. I don't want to do a LED conversion and I'd rather not use a strobe disc.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-09-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Audiokarma