Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

Zenith X390 AM/FM Clock Radio

I got this radio at an estate sale over the summer, I haven't seen too many AM/FM tube clock radios in wood cases.

This appears to have been worked on in the past, somebody did a clever repair of the tuning shaft using another knob, I assume there was originally a plastic piece there to prevent user contact with the chassis.

There was a piece of solder wire stuck under the filter can, and multiple wires have melted insulation. I didn't see any obvious replaced components, maybe this was a "Friday afternoon" assembly.

Replaced one weak tube and the neon lamp for the clock dial. Power cord had developed the green goo at the terminals and was replaced. Chassis plays well with minimal hum from original electrolytics, no paper capacitors. These Zenith AM/FM tube sets always seem to perform very well.

Clock originally had a sliver backer like the tuning dial, but it was on a plastic sheet and most of the silver has come off, leaving a green background. The knobs have lost their silver inserts as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (72.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (48.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (63.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (112.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

More photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (55.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (78.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (89.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (133.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxm View Post
I got this radio at an estate sale over the summer, I haven't seen too many AM/FM tube clock radios in wood cases.

This appears to have been worked on in the past, somebody did a clever repair of the tuning shaft using another knob, I assume there was originally a plastic piece there to prevent user contact with the chassis.

There was a piece of solder wire stuck under the filter can, and multiple wires have melted insulation. I didn't see any obvious replaced components, maybe this was a "Friday afternoon" assembly.

Replaced one weak tube and the neon lamp for the clock dial. Power cord had developed the green goo at the terminals and was replaced. Chassis plays well with minimal hum from original electrolytics, no paper capacitors. These Zenith AM/FM tube sets always seem to perform very well.

Clock originally had a sliver backer like the tuning dial, but it was on a plastic sheet and most of the silver has come off, leaving a green background. The knobs have lost their silver inserts as well.
I have the plastic version of the same radio.
I see it has the Westclox clock movement and an Oaktron speaker.
The speakers were made in Monroe, Wisconsin.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice one Max.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, very nice!
Audiokarma