Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Runco CW-61 Plasma, any Plasma techs?

So this Runco Plasma CW-61 I bought at an Estate Sale, I want it to run because it supports 240p upscaling, 4:3 and 3:2 & 16:9 aspect ratios.. from a gaming perspective I get a bunch of added features which aren't found in modern OLEDs or 4K TVs.

When I bought it, it powered On and worked but had snowflakes (sometimes red), I found a few bad caps on the power board and replaced them. I also replaced a few more components, and for some reason it didn't like the changes I made. I've reinstalled original components now, and can't find any errors on the power board.

I'd like to try and revive an issue which potentially could just involve resetting the TV with a special code. Currently the standby light goes from green to red constantly and doesn't stop. This started when I unplugged a SUS board to see if it was related to that problem. Since then I've had this flashing green/red error. The main power shows 64V on the 250V fuse, and afterwards there's very little power anywhere. I think there's some sort of safety choke in place to prevent damages, and some code would clear that.. at least that's what I've heard on the NEC 50XM5A, which shares the same main processor.

? I have already replaced most of the bad PSU caps as well as some other failing components. I think the failure occurred when I unplugged a SUS board from the PSU to test it with out it. I haven't had it running since.

Last edited by Slypty; 12-01-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd check for a shorted mosfet next. A 61 inch plasma, how much does it weigh?

Last edited by kf4rca; 01-12-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

One thing that may help is a manual. If the set has either a type acceptance
number or an FCC ID number you can look it up at FCC.gov. That
USUALLY will cross it to the OEM & OEM model number. We used to find
near every odd ball monitor that way.
With the OEM someone may remember the problem or get you into the
service menus. Maybe a "so called" manual too !
BTW those menus if used wrong can destroy some sets. ALWAYS write
down all parameters before changing

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-13-2023, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slypty View Post
So this Runco Plasma CW-61 I bought at an Estate Sale, I want it to run because it supports 240p upscaling, 4:3 and 3:2 & 16:9 aspect ratios.. from a gaming perspective I get a bunch of added features which aren't found in modern OLEDs or 4K TVs.

When I bought it, it powered On and worked but had snowflakes (sometimes red), I found a few bad caps on the power board and replaced them. I also replaced a few more components, and for some reason it didn't like the changes I made. I've reinstalled original components now, and can't find any errors on the power board.

I'd like to try and revive an issue which potentially could just involve resetting the TV with a special code. Currently the standby light goes from green to red constantly and doesn't stop. This started when I unplugged a SUS board to see if it was related to that problem. Since then I've had this flashing green/red error. The main power shows 64V on the 250V fuse, and afterwards there's very little power anywhere. I think there's some sort of safety choke in place to prevent damages, and some code would clear that.. at least that's what I've heard on the NEC 50XM5A, which shares the same main processor.

? I have already replaced most of the bad PSU caps as well as some other failing components. I think the failure occurred when I unplugged a SUS board from the PSU to test it with out it. I haven't had it running since.
Red sparkles on a plasma indicates either a cranky sustain board or an aging display. As plasmas get older, they start drawing more current.

I didn't know Runco made (or badge engineered) a plasma, but a lot of early plasmas had adjustments on the sustain.

The first thing to do is verify the voltages on the panel match the label on the back of the display, so things like VS, VSET, etc. should be adjusted on the power supply.

If that doesn't do it, then adjusting the sustain board (if it is adjustable) is next, the procedure requires a scope by the book, but to be honest, I've eye-balled these. Just mark the adjustments and try not to go more than 45 degrees from the mark.

John

EDIT: Many LG based plasmas had issues with the surface mount electrolytic cans on the sustain boards causing the red rash, particularly when cold (it would improve the longer it ran). You can verify weak electros by carefully heating the Y sustain board with a hair dryer and see if the red rash improves. Be careful not to overheat any heatsinks - kind of aim the hot air between them. If the heat improves things, you can ESR the caps and look for weak ones.

Last edited by JohnCT; 01-13-2023 at 03:15 PM.