Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
It's interesting to me that your TV's remote does not have the mute function. Most TVs with ultrasonic remotes did have the mute feature, either as a fourth position of the volume stepper relay (mute, low, medium, high volume), or as a completely separate button on the hand unit. This interests me because the first TV remote control by Zenith, the ill-fated and short-lived "Flash-Matic" of the mid-1950s, did have a photocell that activated the mute function when the ray-gun style controller was pointed at it. Why Sharp decided not to include sound muting on some of its Linytron TVs, however, is a mystery to me. Linytron (which I think stands for in-line color CRT) sounds like it must have been one of Sharp's premium sets of the '80s, so it should have had all the bells and whistles, including mute and OSD.
I have many ultrasonic remotes that lack a mute function. Some also have color controls which I think is overkill.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I don't think Linytron was anything more than marketing. Possibly even just to confuse
customers as sounding like Trinatron.... Sharps that did not have the linytron name on
the front seemed the same inside.....

I'm more than sure it was possible to run a confusion scam like this easy. I am also in
marketing, and it's amazing that even if you watch "Verizon Fios" commercials 20 a day,
8 days a week, for 6 years, customers will still ask, "Well can I upgrade my TWC internet to
get Fios....?" I guess customers need to be shown the differentiation between the Two different
Companies, as it seems they think that Fios is a different type of "Service" TWC and Verizon
both offer....

During that Linytron time period Panasonic I believe had Quintrex, Toshiba had BlackStripe,
etc, etc.... It was all just an inline tube, and I'm pretty sure they had all switched to black
material of some kind between the color dots.....

As for the flyback thing.... My 1985 Linytron 25" "Protable" with real simulated wood grain
finish... !!! I had got because someone threw it out down the street from me. It had
chard circuit board under the flyback and arced under there as well. I cleaned it and
removed the parts of the board that was damaged, then hand wired that part back.
She has worked well as our daily use set since about '92, 5+ hours a day, almost every day.

On remotes, Sharp had wired remotes for a lot of their VCR's and those remotes back then
didn't do all that much....... Linyton sets came out for the most part after my short
tv repair career, so I don't know what the official poop was on that name.... But I put
my chips on marketing scam.

Last edited by Username1; 08-06-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Out of all my Sharps, this one probably has the best picture...and it has been well-used. The remote is infrared and has RAT and Mute. It's a plain style set, without OSD, but has a really good pic. Too bad my cellphone camera makes all my TVs look like shit. It's a linytron from 1984 and was built in Malaysia, not Japan. If it wasn't for the Blackstripe CRT, it would probably just be a mediocre solid state performer..the chassis is a basic singleboard layout with mostly chips instead of discrete devices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linytron 1984.jpg (51.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Here is a 19" Linytron 1987, and a Toshiba 19" from 1984 CF904 Both in Queens Glen
Oaks area, the ad is almost 30 days old, but both sets look very clean.....
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/4566606464.html

Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Out of all my Sharps, this one probably has the best picture...and it has been well-used. The remote is infrared and has RAT and Mute. It's a plain style set, without OSD, but has a really good pic. Too bad my cellphone camera makes all my TVs look like shit. It's a linytron from 1984 and was built in Malaysia, not Japan. If it wasn't for the Blackstripe CRT, it would probably just be a mediocre solid state performer..the chassis is a basic singleboard layout with mostly chips instead of discrete devices.
My Canon Powershot camera is no better in that regard. Light conditions almost always have to be optimal for decent pictures. It has more settings than I care to remember, but nothing will correct the faults. I had better luck with a cheap 110 film camera and my Polaroid.
Audiokarma
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd like to have that Toshiba in the CL ad, but I really can't justify paying money for a set from '84..those still turn up for free sometimes.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
I'd like to have that Toshiba in the CL ad, but I really can't justify paying money for a set from '84..those still turn up for free sometimes.
I have paid for all but 2 of my 80's Sharps. I think of it as a "Thanks for taking care
of my tv Fee" I'm much happier to pay it vs. some taxes and bank fees.

I got 2 Sharps from just outside Boston 3 years ago, the ad asked just to give
them a good home. They belonged to the girl's parents as they spent their last
few years in a home. She said both sets were "on" for less than 4 hours a week,
for about 2 years a piece.... After they had died, she was just reducing stuff in the
house. I wrote and told her about my first job with our shop servicing Sharps, and that
I would be keeping them for good, and she just gave them to me. She was really nice,
and we traded stories outside on her porch for about 2 hours before I drove back.
Experiences like that always leads me to always look for the possibility, more
positive than not, that my next CL encounter will be a good one.....

And I must say, most are positive....

And yah, I would like to have that Toshiba as well as the Sharp....

Last edited by Username1; 08-06-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've had mostly good CL experiences too for the most part...And I haven't paid for most of my TVs, most were curb finds or word-of-mouth. Some came from estate sales of deceased people for very little money. I did however purchase a few small TVs on ebay and had em shipped.. a Quasar cube set from the 80s, with the remote that is a small miniature of the tv itself, from Georgia, and a Sentinel b/w portable from Maine which I restored. Have gotten lucky for the most part with shipping.
Does anyone know if that Toshiba is a remote set? I don't think it is..I have a 1980 Toshiba 19" with ultrasonic 4 button remote...the Volume control on the TV is actually a slider, which is to be used as a preset volume control..and the remote only makes the volume as loud as you set the slider. Sort of a 'hybrid' remote volume control. From 1980. The CRTs are really high-performance in these IMO. Maybe I'll make an offer..but I doubt it
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Does anyone know if that Toshiba is a remote set? I don't think it is..I have a 1980 Toshiba 19" with ultrasonic 4 button remote...the Volume control on the TV is actually a slider, which is to be used as a preset volume control..and the remote only makes the volume as loud as you set the slider. Sort of a 'hybrid' remote volume control.
That's how my '73 Zenith volume control works, but with a knob instead of a slider. Goes only one way, starts at the highest preset point.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Here is a 19" Linytron 1987, and a Toshiba 19" from 1984 CF904 Both in Queens Glen
Oaks area, the ad is almost 30 days old, but both sets look very clean.....
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/4566606464.html

For once, I wish I was on Long Island (born and raised there. Ran away from there 14 years ago late last month!).
Audiokarma
Old 08-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I don't think it was a BOL set, Sharp did not have tiers to their line through that
time period. The features of each size tv was pretty standard through the line.
The difference was in the cabinets. Many of those years also came with wood
cabinets of various qualities. Along with the cabinet upgrade, was often aux.
video and audio inputs to make them compatible with their Optinica (sp) High
end audio line. They were all STK IC chip audio outputs, so Hi end as far as
those chips went.... But they did sound good.... Rocked the TV Shop good ! !

I think yer lucky to have gotten the remote...... Very good find....
Funny, I mention how rarely those Sharp ultrasonic remotes show up on eBay, then I score one a few days later. Not only that, mine is the 5-button version that separates the power and volume controls, which I had never seen before. Other than that it's the same as the one shown. Perhaps it is meant for the models with A/V inputs?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 PM
sampson159

dave had one of these back in the 90s.it was a shop watcher for awhile until it developed a vertical issue.extremely sharp with the control at minimum.he installed some caps and it played for about 30 minutes before we heard a loud bang.it was like a shotgun!when the smoke cleared,the set was gone.dont know what happened but it was scrapped.