Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Have you tried repositioning the yoke? 90% of the dynamic convergence is handled by tilting the front of the yoke. Sometimes the yoke gradually slides back and droops down over the years. The rubber wedges that hold the yoke in position can also move, or fall out. Check out the service manual to any TV with an in-line CRT for some idea of how to adjust the convergence.

Are you sure the CRT is original? One thing that will cause serious convergence problems is trying to use a CRT with an incompatible yoke. You'll end up with the red and blue rasters being either too big, or too small compared to the green.
I have no idea if the CRT is original. Looks original, but I don't know how you tell when you don't have the original bill of materials anywhere.

I understand already that the position of the yoke affects dynamic convergence, but this thing was SOLIDLY glued in place, as were the wedges. I finally managed to break it free a few days ago, after much effort, but I wasn't able to find a position where the convergence was good all over the monitor. The best I could get was the center and top of the monitor having good convergence, but blue was still quite a ways off from red and green at the bottom of the monitor.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Too bad about the Syncmaster. I fixed one once and it was a shorted (melted down) width coil.
I have found that if you have problems getting good purity and /or convergence on a CRT, its usually due to a slipped shadow mask. Usually resulting from a fall.
Sometimes the cabinet cracks and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Too bad about the Syncmaster. I fixed one once and it was a shorted (melted down) width coil.
I have found that if you have problems getting good purity and /or convergence on a CRT, its usually due to a slipped shadow mask. Usually resulting from a fall.
Sometimes the cabinet cracks and sometimes it doesn't.
Yeah, that could be what happened. When I got it, there was a small chip on the base and an abrasion on the face of the CRT, so I wouldn't doubt if it got dropped at some point.

The place with the replacement CRT never e-mailed me back, so I'm not sure what's going on with them.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got a reply from the CRT place, finally. Turns out they sold off one of their warehouses a while back and didn't successfully remove all the part numbers from their inventory. They don't have the replacement CRT anymore. I guess I'll be stuck with a poorly working monitor now (I don't want to get rid of it because I like that the brand matches my XT clone, it'd just be nice if it wasn't so annoying to use with all those multicolored shadows all around the edges of the screen).
Audiokarma
Old 03-20-2016, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's a NEC 17" Multisync 5FG High Resolution Color Monitor on a CL listing near me. (I'm as central as you can get in Ohio.) The listing is not mine, no relation, etc. It says very low hours. You can do a quick search for it, or I'll post the link in $/cents. I had one of these back in the day, and they're quite nice and sharp for a CRT.

Chip
Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is starting to sound like a Hitachi TV i had years ago. The convergence got worse and worse and it had nothing to do with the yoke.

Again only thing I can recommend are pieces of magnet strips on the back of the CRT.