Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2024, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Has the convergence diode pack ever been replaced?
Yop, with a NOS selenium rectifier pack

I never did like the sliding type of holders they used for the static magnets, always seemed problematic, you look at them funny they shift!

It's only slightly off gotta look close to see it, but not as good as it used to be.

my other roundie, the GE CTC-15 clone which is rarely used, is still pretty good, so I'm guessing it has to do with once a week use for an hour or 2 and thermal cycling, over the last year and a half.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I replaced the Vert tube June 22 with a NOS 6GF7A, that was the last time it was converged.

Perhaps the tube has broken in a bit, and things are slightly off now, who knows.
blue static is very slightly above R/G, and R/G are not as good as they could be.

R/G vert top is also a bit off again :/
Old 01-13-2024, 05:53 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
I replaced the Vert tube June 22 with a NOS 6GF7A, that was the last time it was converged.

Perhaps the tube has broken in a bit, and things are slightly off now, who knows.
blue static is very slightly above R/G, and R/G are not as good as they could be.

R/G vert top is also a bit off again :/
Convergence can be affected by vertical height and linearity. I would check those first before touching the convergence controls.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Age brings inevitable change that can't be reversed.
Accept it and enjoy the picture.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Convergence can be affected by vertical height and linearity. I would check those first before touching the convergence controls.
That would no doubt be the first step I check, but i co have no doubt i will have to touch things up again.
Audiokarma
Old 01-15-2024, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman View Post
Age brings inevitable change that can't be reversed.
Accept it and enjoy the picture.
If i have to spend a few hours with my face to the screen every year and a half to 2 years to keep it in peak convergence, i really don't mind it!

https://i.imgur.com/8wFk2gc.jpg

I know what the set can do!
Old 01-15-2024, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
If i have to spend a few hours with my face to the screen every year and a half to 2 years to keep it in peak convergence, i really don't mind it!
About how many hours of actual operating time does that represent?

jr
Old 01-15-2024, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
About how many hours of actual operating time does that represent?

jr
This set gets occasional weekend use, mostly on Sat ( not every one ), from 30 min to an hour, and periods up to 2 hours or more on Christmas eve, there are of course other brief times that it's on, but those are the regular use it sees.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:41 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I've been fighting the comvergence on my 16X lately too. Some sets converge up nicely, while others fight you every step of the way. My 16X is the latter example. I replaced the recitfier block and it helped, but after 3 hours of going around and around, my back was aching and I got it "good enough."
Old 01-16-2024, 02:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I've been fighting the comvergence on my 16X lately too. Some sets converge up nicely, while others fight you every step of the way. My 16X is the latter example. I replaced the recitfier block and it helped, but after 3 hours of going around and around, my back was aching and I got it "good enough."
I have gone thru this as well. Always wondered if it was the geometry of the shadow mask itself? Eg maybe it is slightly warped over time?
Audiokarma
Old 01-16-2024, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Same with my Motorola some days the convergence is good other days it’s alittle off as it may be static in the rug it sits on.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
I have gone thru this as well. Always wondered if it was the geometry of the shadow mask itself? Eg maybe it is slightly warped over time?
Mine has always been a fight as well, round and round to try and get it as best as I can, always seems worst on the right side
Old 01-16-2024, 09:12 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Shadow mask warping would ruin the purity long before affecting convergence. In fact, convergence is supposed to make the beams coincide at the faceplate, not at the shadow mask.

Long term drift most likely is due to circuit components, not only in the convergence circuits but in the horizontal and vertical size and linearity.

Of course, some sets just never will have all four corners optimum at the same time (and if you're really picky, maybe all sets).
Old 01-17-2024, 05:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Some time ago, thinkering and playing with my delta gun TV (a "last generation" delta-gun; the only delta in my small collection), I almost created a thread for the convergence issue, but then I found that the TV certainly dropped, and purity is not consistent also.
This affected one side; the left side converges scary unbelievably good, basically textbook perfect, but right side, the G is not || to the R+B (coincides with bad puruty)... this is strange; normaly I see people complaining about R or B not converging to the others... this G lost even don't make sense to the convergence panel adjustment descriptions.
So, I think I can need to live with it, until I found another set.

Or, is worth to try to play a little with it?

PS.: this tube also have another problem, but I think is about the socket: is very inconsistent with focus. But, I dunno why the image is more dim when focus is wrong, go figure... (well, I never worked with delta gun CRT, so I dunno if it is a normal behaviour, or...)
Old 01-17-2024, 05:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
It affects both. Minor warpage or magnetism will affect purity, severe warpage affects convergence and purity, but these tubes were very stout physically and it would take a significant impact to warp the shadow mask bad enough to affect convergence.

Later tubes were more prone from bumping, and just looking at a Trinitron crosseyed would give them fits.

John
Besides Trinitron, I had a Samsung 32" widescreen that lost purity with a little impact... ouch... very sensitive it seems