Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:51 AM
behind the scenes

Help a total newbie on Andrea Radio

Any places to look for info or pictures on consumer Andrea Radio. I missed what I would call a table tube radio on Ebay a month or so ago, and it haunts me. It was old, maybe 30's/40's. Wood case with the dial set in a panel maybe 45 degrees across the front edge. The name Andrea Radio done in what looked like gold lettering above the dial. I find very little other than miliatry stuff on Andrea radio. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

You may also try searching under FADA; I think FADA radio is somehow related to Andrea (FADA= Frank A. D'Andrea, I believe the founder of the company.) It seems as though Andrea was a badge used more on TV's than radios.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 PM
AK Member

Chad is right in there being more information available about Andrea Radio under FADA. It seems that Mr. D'Andrea is better known for his pioneering work in television than for his radios.

Here are a couple of links you might find interesting:

http://classicradiogallery.com/fada_history.html

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1946-49-ANDREA.htm

Pictures seem rather scarce, but I did find these three. Very handsome radios! The first one seems similiar to the one you described, though it appears to have been spoiled by a whitewashing.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:00 PM
behind the scenes

Wow Paula you are a Princess. The first one is what I'm looking for, minus the white wash.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:39 PM
behind the scenes

I found a better picture of the painted Andrea Radio. I'm still looking for one like this or similiar. It does not have to work.
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Andrea wasn't the only outfit that used that style. I've seen it quite a few times. Apparently EVERYTHING in the '40s just HAD to look big, massive & substantial, like a gov't office bldg.-Sandy G.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Holy Pioneer!

Model number?

I got this one at a flea market...any ideas as to what the model number is?

Last edited by Bogframe; 09-19-2005 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-24-2005, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Frank Andrea started as a parts supp;ier in 1920 as F A D Andea, Inc. He used his initials FADA as his brand name. By 1928 or so he was in the top 5 of US radio manufacturers. About 1931 he formed Fada Radio Corporation and sold it in about 1933 and retired. Retirement did not last long and he returned as Andrea Radio Corporation which became Andrea Electronics around the 1980's. Meanwhile the Boston group that bought Fada Radio Corporation went broke and a NY group headed by Jacob Marks bought the assets and changed the name to FADA Radio & Electric Company, Inc. The Jacob Marks FADA is the FADA that gave us all those catalin radios.This FADA went broke in 1955. Two companies that can be traced to Andrea still remain in business on LI today. Andrea did make great television sets in the post war era. That wood radio is a 6H44
Bruce Hagen