Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just gave up on a Sony KV-20FV300 Wega

I swore I wasn't taking in any more later model CRT TV's, for obvious reasons. However, a lady at the church had a 20" Sony that she wanted to give me; so, I took it. Got it home, turned it on, and it was dead except for four blinks from the standby light. Four blinks means that the vertical circuit has failed; so, I opened it and found a bad vertical IC and a 220uf cap that was weak with high ESR. So, I gambled on a $5 vertical IC on ebay, installed it, and then the TV came up with a bright red raster with retrace lines and shut down. Then, it gave me the same vertical failure blink code. The bright red raster was most likely due to either a shorted CRT or a defect in the red video output stage; but, I didn't even bother to troubleshoot any further. Years ago, I would have at least tried to find out the cause; but, no sense in wasting any more time or money on something that wouldn't bring over $20. So, I saved the power cord and to the street the rest of it goes

I'm waiting on another vertical IC for a 2006 Sony 32" with a built in digital tuner. Guess what? That one will go to the junk pile as well if it chooses to act ugly after I replace the IC.

I also come close to airmailing a 13" Thomas TV/VCR combo from '87. The TV works fine; but, the VCR is dead. I've been pushing it heavy for the past 3 weeks and can't even get a lousy $10 for it; so, I might as well junk it and make room for something else.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Not sure how I got here.

You don't depend on this for real income do you....?

You do this for fun right....?

So are you unhappy they need lots of work, or that you can't get anything for them..... Because if that's it, you need to stop doing it.....

You know what gets me.... There is some guy or company that regularly sells crt sets with vhs and or dvd's built in, small screen sets, and gets about $120. each.....

Last edited by Username1; 03-17-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

No, the TV repair/sales is something I do to make a little extra money. The only reason I even bothered to order the part for the Sony is because it was a silver flat CRT TV with various inputs and I figured I could sell that one before I could a BPC or woodgrain plastic set with no input jacks. I generally no longer fix any TV that I can't fix out of what junk is already here.

$120/ea for TV/DVD/VCR combinations? I haven't seen those kinds of prices for such units in years. Around here, $20-$25 is about it for a 13" TV/VCR or DVD combination. The other day, some guy was trying to sell a 36" RCA from the '90's for $150. I just laughed and shook my head.

If my own 20" Sony Wega dies tonight, I'd most likely unplug it, put it to the street, and get another TV out of storage.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I did a quick search and found a few...... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-MW20...p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-MW24...p2047675.l2557

The top one was on the high side, But I did not run across the one company I had watched for a few months. They were selling lots of combo sets, and the prices were in the $120. Plus shipping..... This set is some what of a high price, but if you look at these combos they are up there..... And if you bookmark them, in time they all sell.... It's strange, I can't see how they are getting these prices..... But I have been watching this for over 3 years just for fun, and it's still happening....

Funny side note, I have been going to lots of public places with flat tv's on display, and a large number of the people I comment on about the horrible quality of the picture, a lot of them have said "We went back to tube sets at our house", And "My husband hates flat tv's" Is this why these sets are pricing this high....? Plus no stupid cable problems....? Ease of setup...? Is it more because these sets are kid resistant...? Did you see the kid that killed the new flat screen hitting it with a tissue box on AFV a few weeks ago....? They were $10,000 winners, the way dad reacted, it sure looked like that was NOT the first time it happened.....

Last edited by Username1; 03-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I get calls fairly often from people where their kid hits the new TV with something, destroying the panel. I tell them that there is no use in even bringing it over because the panel would cost more than a new TV.

When I was a kid, I knew better than to hit our TV with anything and TV's back then were way more durable than they are today.

Had a friend bring by a 19" Sanyo LCD for me to program the tuner for the local channels. The picture looked worse than a porta-color.
Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Not sure how I got here.

<< Had a friend bring by a 19" Sanyo LCD for me to program the tuner for the local channels. The picture looked worse than a porta-color. >>

Yah, I know....
Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

The other day, I turned down a broken 43" Sanyo plasma TV, mainly because I know how crappy Sanyo flat panel TV's are. Every one that I have gotten has had some sort of problem that involved either an expensive or NLA part.

However, I got lucky on a 2008 Samsung 32" LCD that would intermittently turn off. I resoldered a bunch of stuff on the power supply board (heatsink mounted parts, transformers, connectors, etc) and it seems to be working OK. If It wasn't working, the people I fixed it for would be calling.

Currently, I have a 2011 43" Samsung plasma that I may take another look at.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

My practice is that anything new enough to have a lot of surface-mount crap gets junked, working or not. A heavily-bonded Thomson yoke came off in a couple hundred pieces during my latest project. All I have left of that yoke is the magnet with the warning label that says not to attempt to remove the yoke.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
All I have left of that yoke is the magnet with the warning label that says not to attempt to remove the yoke.

Warning Labels: Sometimes they serve a better purpose than making you question your degree of qualification to service a given device.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Jeez dead already ? My 1969 Sony KV-1210U still works and looks like new ! (Pics and video of this Gem this week)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
My practice is that anything new enough to have a lot of surface-mount crap gets junked, working or not. A heavily-bonded Thomson yoke came off in a couple hundred pieces during my latest project. All I have left of that yoke is the magnet with the warning label that says not to attempt to remove the yoke.
SMD's would have killed the repair biz without cheap red chinese
stuff. Totally changed the game. It got to the point where we told
people it needed a whole board if a SM IC was suspected. So TV's
became a throw away commodity.

73 Zeno
Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Warning Labels: Sometimes they serve a better purpose than making you question your degree of qualification to service a given device.
Haha, yup. That label was an invitation if I ever saw one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
SMD's would have killed the repair biz without cheap red chinese
stuff. Totally changed the game. It got to the point where we told
people it needed a whole board if a SM IC was suspected. So TV's
became a throw away commodity.

73 Zeno
That TV is probably more desirable now having been stripped of everything except the CRT. I spent over two hours last night getting the tape off the CRT neck, now I just need to figure out why I went to the trouble of doing that, and to figure out what kind of franken-set I can make out of what's left.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I guess the first TV's that I saw that made extensive use of SMD IC's were those cheap Funai and Orion built TV's that china-mart sold for $99-$129, starting in the late '90's. When I suspected one of those IC's to be defective, I junked the TV. Those sorts of TV's were not designed to be repaired and very few people are going to spend $75+ to have a TV fixed that only cost around $100 when it was new.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

something that they may be used for.

Science projects, that is build your own TV using reg parts and then you have a CRT. Just a thought. I would not mind having a small stockpile of those 9-10" CRT's just for that reason. When I was in HS there was a mech tech class (used to be called shop). I really don't think its likely to happen in a PS today, but for the home school crowd (large and growing daily) it would be just the ticket as science projects.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Oh yeah, someone actually told me I should build my own TV. I already got rid of the degaussing coil though, darn it. At least I have pics of my progress thus far, and actually having removed every trace of that yoke without damage to the tube is an accomplishment in itself. My right index finger is a little sore and the nail slightly damaged from all the picking at what remained after the last of the yoke came off. Now I just need to find out what parts to use. a Mechanical tuner would be a must. Prolly a tube chassis as well as I don't have anything with tubes, so why not.
Audiokarma