Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

tv alignment equipment

Hi guys, I plan on visiting a gentleman to pick up some tv alignment equipment. I know he has a B&K 1077 but I'm not sure what he has for sweep/marker stuff. Is the B&K 415 able to do the late 40"s early 50"s with the 21 Mhz I.F. ? (Do I have that right ?) I know he doesn't have any Sencore stuff. What should I look for that is capable of doing the early sets. I know they switched to a higher frequency a few years later. He might have a few different Brands and models. What can you recommend ? I'm not sure how much late model tv stuff I plan on getting into.
Thanks
Tony
Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

the 415 only does later sets with the IFs in the 40mhz range.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I know the EICO 368 or 369 will do the lower frequency IFs.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would look for the Eico 369. it has post marker injection. it is set up so the markers dont interfere with the trace. the 368 isnt post injection, but there are mods to make it post injection.

the precision E-410c is also post injection, but you need a seperate signal generator to produce the markers.

the eicos and the 410c have electronic sweep instead of a mechanical wobulator. id grab units with electronic sweep.

if you grab any of the RCA units, they are mechanical sweep, and also need the marker adder unit to show a good trace.

heathkit also made post injection units, but i dont know the model#.

the 415 was pretty much made for later color tvs in mind, althought it can be use on any tv with IF in the 40 mhz range
Old 10-29-2019, 10:52 AM
M is for Memory

I have one of those Eicos and it's probably going to be a shelf Queen since I really don't want to go to the effort of repairing and calibrating a tube based generator.

I rather use my solid-state crystal controlled B&K 415 or something like it. I've been thinking about using this mod on my B&K 415 to make it old IF compatible when I eventually get started doing alignment. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...%3BK+415+21mhz
I collect everything from 630 chassis RCA upto the last deltagun color SS Zeniths so aligning both bands is going to matter to me.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 10-29-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-29-2019, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the link for the B&K 415 mod. (It is very interesting bit of a workaround) I'll keep my eyes open for one. Who knows, if it is cheap enough I might just grab it. I'll see if he has any Eico ,wavetek or even some HP equipment. I might have to settle for what he has available.
Tony
Old 11-05-2019, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I ended up picking up a B&K 1077B (no probes), an Eico 369 sweep generator, He did have a Heathkit IG-52 sweep marker generator, did I pick the wrong one ? A Heathkit IT-28 capacitor checker, a Tele-Check, TeleMatic tester with a good 5AXP4 and a pair of Eico 1100 and 1120 resistance and capacitance substitution boxes. Also got about 1000 feet of #20 wire in various colors. He had a ton of equipment and it was hard to know just what to get without prior knowledge. I was looking for a good 10BP4 which he has, but is buried in one of his semi trailers and can't get at it just yet. To be honest, I have never seen so much equipment in one place.
Tony

Last edited by Tony F; 11-05-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Workin' Late Again

I think the 369 will serve you well. It's about as close to what shops were using back in the day plus the post marker injection. In my opinion it's best to learn the sweep process with period pieces of gear, then after you get the hang of things you can look more into a higher tech approach.