Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Woodbridge, Virginia

Update

OK folks...
I had the repair guy come back. I told him what all yall said. He now agrees with that.
He said he replaced the HO tube with a used one he was able to find - so it may be bad as well.
He did do some additional work while here. He fixed the end points on the power tube for the horizontal area (it was fried pretty good before it seems).
He also recapped part of the horizontal area that he said looked bad.
Oddly enough it did hold for a few minutes when he put in a Harry Potter DVD (the only one he said he could get to work before)... yeah i know... magic huh? But once you turned it off and back on - it went right back to the horizontal issue.
SOOOOO...
I have already bought a New In Box (old stock) tube to replace the older HO tube i found on Ebay.
I will get it in next Tuesday and update yall..
Keep your fingers crossed for me...
=)
And Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, one more time. As mentioned in post# 9, find out if the set uses a horiz.AFC ('phasing') diode. If it does, that diode should be replaced as a matter of routine in the case of weak or absent horiz sync.

Lacking the Sams, it should be a simple matter to have a looksee to tell if the set uses one.

OOPs.. just missed your last post. If you can still catch the service guy, have him read post #9 and this one.

Last edited by old_coot88; 05-30-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-30-2014, 03:11 PM
M is for Memory

Looks like a D16 chassis table model set I rescued a while back. I have been able to get color back and better convergence since I last updated that thread, but it still could use some work (dead sound and color acuracy issues). If I can get life out of that heap yours should be easy to get perfect.
http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=258006

By HO Tube are you talking output or oscillator? The output should not have an effect on the hold...It it the oscillator that is responsible for keeping the horizontal in synch. The horizontal phasing diodes mentioned earlier are a possible cause of horizontal issues.

I have a paper copy of the sam's photofact manual for the D16 chassis that I can give you excerpts of if that will help.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you can get the set to synch to a VHS source and there is horizontal waviness (flag waving) in the image (especially at the top) it is not the sets fault so much as it is the fault of the lousy synch VCRs tend to output. That set was designed before VCRs were common in homes and as a result were not designed to compensate for the lousy synch VCRs produce like newer CRT sets were.

There is a way to fix flag waving...Pass the VCR output through a TBC (Time Base Corrector) and then into your TV. There are a variety of TBCs and devices with TBCs built in. I've found that some DVD RECORDERS have decent enough TBCs built in to stop flag waving...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-31-2014, 12:40 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Looks like a D16 chassis table model set I rescued a while back. I have been able to get color back and better convergence since I last updated that thread, but it still could use some work (dead sound and color acuracy issues). If I can get life out of that heap yours should be easy to get perfect.
http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=258006
The progress on that thus far is an excellent testament to the quality of those sets.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Woodbridge, Virginia

Update link here...

I have an update... =)
Click here to the other thread please..
=)

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...=1#post3105837