Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

1949 documentary on kinescope recording!

G'day all.

I've found a very interesting 4 1/2 minute documentary on kinescope recording from 1949 which features samples of some experimental slow frame rate kinescope recording from 1938 and some kinescope footage of a televised boxing match from 1946! You can see the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HbODxTSDmM
Some real gems in there indeed!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Troy,
This is part of a larger film which I think I downloaded once and burned to a disc. I'll look around for it, but it might take some time; my house looks like the Collyer brothers decorated it. I love looking at this kind of stuff, trying to imagine what it would have been like to be in the studio with them. Have you ever seen the little bit of film of a 1938 BBC broadcast that was picked up by engineers at either RCA or GE in New Jersey? By sheer good luck they happened to have a 16-mm camera already loaded and ready to go, so they just parked it in front of a monitor. No sound, and the picture fades in and out, but sometimes its clear enough that you could identify the woman as Jasmine Bligh. It is posted on the Alexandra Palace Television Society

http://www.apts.org.uk/recording.htm
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

What was that film called as I will search for it through Google?

Yep saw that 1938 amateur kinescope, brilliant footage, plus the snowy/ghosty reception looks not at all different from that modern analog television just before the switchover to digital!!!

There's also a few other early kinescopes on YouTube, one of the 1937 Coronation shot by an amateur off his TV screen to 16mm film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhvdARdbQFk and another of a amateur German telerecording excerpts of German programs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhvdARdbQFk .
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Both links are of the German recording. Do you have the link for the 1937 British recording?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wish I could remember. If you had posted this a month ago I might have found the whole thing easily, but my Real Player developed this quaint habit of arbitrarily deleting files whenever I closed it.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Video View Post
Both links are of the German recording. Do you have the link for the 1937 British recording?
This is one of those moments where I go "DOH!!!" lol, here is the correct link to the amateur kinescope of the 1937 Coronation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFnSe4EfnlI .
Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you very much for the link!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Found on the front cover of July 1946 RCA Radio Age magazine there is a couple of off screen monitor snaps of the boxing event which match that of the kinescope excerpt featured in that kinescope segment, here's the magazine front cover and here's a screen grab from the kinescope:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946 July RCA Radio Age.JPG (59.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fight.jpg (9.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Right you are! The announcer in the Kinescope film says it's the Joe Louis/Billy Conn rematch of 1946, and on the first page just to the left of the table of contents there is a reprint of the cover with a description under it which reads: "Scene at Yankee Stadium during the Louis-Conn fight, the first heavyweight championship match to be televised."
There is a great web site called vacuumtubeera.net which has a large number of magazines including a complete run of RCA Radio Age from 1942 to 1957 in pdf format.