Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Parts on the convergence PCB changed, the new resistors do run cooler than the old, things made an over all improvement but STILL having a hard time with RG vert top.
Having to adjust R27 to the extreme to get it close, leaving R217 out completely gets it even closer.

All this has made a 15% improvement, parts on the convergence PCB & 6GF7A.
Will mot likely add replacing that C4 with a exact 50uf cap when I ever have the chassis out next and see what does, but done working with it till next time, there is ALWAYS a next time! :O
Old 06-11-2022, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cURROx6hcv0

all room heaters on at once!
Old 06-11-2022, 09:25 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

At this point, I think I would try sliding the convergence coils forward and backward a little to see if they are not exactly over the internal pole pieces. It should not be necessary to run R27 to one end. Are any other controls way off center?
Old 06-12-2022, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

R27 is the only one acting that way, and has been ever since the set was gotten working again.

Thus I have been suspecting the 56uf on place of the 50uf at C4 for some time now, I'm not even sure of the status of R106 which is under the PCB, this may be sending a wave slightly too big/small to that circuit on the convergence PCB making it ALMOST in range.

Obviously the 2 resistors from the cathode of the vert output to ground are OK R127/R126 ( also tied to pin 8 of HOT ) as there is no problems with sweep.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnvND-Kb5Q

video test after latest convergence

RF input
Audiokarma
Old 06-16-2022, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnvND-Kb5Q

video test after latest convergence

RF input
Looks great!
Old 06-16-2022, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, still working rather well via tuner, given that I got it after a mad tweaker got done with it and lost the cover to the IF section, removed the color PCB and did unspeakable things to it like replacing the color takeoff and bandpass coils when it was not really needed. :/

It's working real well with LD video and unlocked DVDs, but as usual for sets of this era, trying to use a cable box via the tuner ends up in buzz-O-matic city, so rather than trying to readjust the audio section to any given channel I'm trying to watch via cable, I just hit the bypass switch and go direct A/V input.

but it's good to hook up the rf modulator once in a while to see that the tuner / IF is still happy and healthy!
Old 06-17-2022, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

On a completely unrelated note, ( to my 16XL) anyway, I now know with relative certainty what was wrong with the Roundie of my childhood , the RCA, CTC-10A "The Sullivan" from our grandparents that my dad gave up on trying to fix and just got rid of.
Although I was very young at the time, I was always watching him trying to work on it and remember exactly the symptoms it had, it would work fine when first turned on, good picture, good color, nice and stable, but as it warmed up it got unstable, jittery.

He spent weeks/ months playing with it before he gave up, replacing tubes, resistors, capacitor NOT electrolytic filers though.

But the one thing this IBM engineer overlooked, and was most likely the fault, the selenium horizontal phase detector.

What a waste...
I wish I had a pu truck and a flux capacitor right about now.