Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Yes. Definitely put plenty of penetrating oil on it. Don't break it off like I did. It's weird, because my when I took my 8S563 apart, I had no issuses with this piece. And it was in much worse condition.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Yes. Definitely put plenty of penetrating oil on it. Don't break it off like I did. It's weird, because my when I took my 8S563 apart, I had no issuses with this piece. And it was in much worse condition.
The eight tube model I have, is the first one I had trouble with. I bought the radio at a thrift about 12 years ago. It has a shorted 'lytic and it smoked the transformer a bit. Someone plugged it in and it stunk up the place. The eight tube job has only one 6X5. If the transformer is bad, I have an extra.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I got this Zenith fixed today. All I did was change 1 lytic, five bad tubes, and put on a new cord. After that easy work, it sounds absolutely incredible. Much better than my lowly 8S563. I will be buying a dial belt next week so it can tune properly. My dad got slightly emotional because he grew up with this playing all the time, and it hasn't played since 1968.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I got this Zenith fixed today. All I did was change 1 lytic, five bad tubes, and put on a new cord. After that easy work, it sounds absolutely incredible. Much better than my lowly 8S563. I will be buying a dial belt next week so it can tune properly. My dad got slightly emotional because he grew up with this playing all the time, and it hasn't played since 1968.
It's best to change the bypass and coupling caps, especially the coupling caps in the audio stages. A strong possibility, that the output tubes have positive voltage on the grids.
Maybe the caps were changed in the late 60's, the last time it was used.
I don't mean to criticize your repair job, as I did the same thing, ages ago.
I just repaired it enough, to get it going.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:36 PM
TheUniversalDave1

After I got this radio playing, the president of the radio club told me to make a list of all the tubes I had to get. I had to get 2 6X5GT's, 2 6V6GT's, and a 6K7. The total bill was $59. I was stunned that the 6V6's could cost $20 a pop. Is that a good deal?
Audiokarma
Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 PM
M is for Memory

Most audio output types are hunted by audiophools who have more money than sense.....They buy them up voraciously and the price climbs skyward.
You might find them cheaper somewhere, but don't count on it.

To expand on dieseljeep's point: When the audio coupling caps get leaky and bias the audio grids positive (it may still sound fine this way) the cathode current in those tubes skyrocket which rapidly uses up the cathode.....Prematurely killing your expensive audio tubes....So unless you want to spend that $40 in output tubes again soon after the new ones are installed, you REALLY SHOULD recap the audio section.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Congrats! Your dad sounds like a great guy....and a proud papa!
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks. He really is an awesome dad. It's because of this radio that I'm interested in radios today. I've been around this radio my whole life.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I've got a '29 Philco 86 that was my father's first antique radio - lots of memories with it - mostly Dad showing it off to guests at our house when I was (much) younger. It didn't spark my interest in electronics - mine was more of a TV and test equipment thing, but a similar connection with dear old dad.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Antique electronic supply used to sell a repro band sector linkage for this era of zeniths. I bought one for my 10S464 a few years ago for around $10-15. Might check and see if they still do!
Audiokarma