Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

sony beta sl2500 wont track

Hi Members.i have a Sony sl2500 that won't lock tracking.i have had lots of experience with beta in the past but it's been a long time since I troubleshooted videotape servos.from what I can recall,these machines had common servo problems because of a certain cap? I do have the factory service manual.used this machine for years in the past.was a great videotape machine for it's day.i have some archived tapes I would like to transfer to DVD.any thought would be appreciated. Thanks, RonL
Old 04-01-2020, 10:18 AM
M is for Memory

Some Sony Beta decks have a the capstan motor stator as a PCB below a rotating magnet. If that PCB has a surface mount lytic change it and see if that helps.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-03-2020, 04:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Tom,I'll check that out.im having trouble finding my service manual for it so gonna be a little tough to troubleshoot. Hopefully I can find the manual. I have approx 8 tapes I want to transfer to DVD and that's all I need from this beta. RonL
Old 04-03-2020, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

RonL, that is a very nice deck. I still use mine today. They had 6 motors in them, so not using belts except for the one that is for tape threading. I would try cleaning with a qtip the ACE head (audio, control, erase). One issue these tended to have issues with was stiction. Google it. The drum where the tape goes on it’s helical path would get shiny and cause static electricity to hold onto the tape. Mostly notice this issue when rewinding the tape, you hear a slap slap kind of noise as the tape tension changes as it gets stuck from the static. Roughing up the shiny aluminum with some Scotch Brit pads can help that issue. Good luck with the repair.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 04-08-2020, 03:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Popester, i had forgotten about scuffing up the shinny areas of the drum-i remember that issue now and scuffed up a few in my day.i already gave the beta a good cleaning but ill clean that head again-old tapes and all.
i gotta find my service manual-ha!
RonL
Audiokarma