Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:23 PM
electronics packrat

WOW!!! My first car was a '55 Buick Special, basically the same car as yours, except for a different engine (261 C.I.D) and 3 ventaports on the front fenders. The looks of these cars are decieving-they will move very fast! Idrove mine over the Grapevine (I-5) once and didn't pay close attention to the speedometer but soon noticed there was nobody trying to pass me. There was a good reason for that- I was doing 115 MPH! I slowed back down to 55 really quick. At that speed, a metal dashboard and no seatbelts are not ideal, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
So what's the plan with the car, are you going to repair what's broken, paint it, and drive it?? Or take it apart, and rebuild it from the ground up?

I'm fixing up a '69 F-250 right now, but taking the first approach... I haven't got the patience or the money to do it "properly".

That era of GM vehicles have got to be some of the best looking cars ever made, and yours is enviably straight. Nice car!
My plan is to get her mechanically right, and drive her just as she is for the time being. I'm really not sure if I want to leave the original paint and just work with what's there, or go the full restoration route. Seems like driving a "survivor" would seem fitting, but all I know is that I WILL NOT primer black the thing and do a "rat rod". I hate those. People that would take a car like mine and rattle can it flat black, paint the rims red, and put skulls all over it should be drawn and quartered. Just sayin
Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

sounds like a good plan to me! I think resisting the temptation to make it perfect, seriously improves the joy of ownership of an old car. Nothing more sad than someone who buys a survivor like yours, with a lot of big ideas, and then for ten years has a half taken apart project until his wife forces it sold!

I agree with you about rat rods being tastless - however, it is the cheapest way to get a project semi presentable if you start with body panels of 3 different colours, and lots of bondo, and have no painting facility. not something i want though!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM
AK Subscriber

My grand father had a 1955 Buick,with the V-8, I can still remember the sound of that engine when he drove away.
The body looks good, no salt on the roads were it came from.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Administrator

As soon as my income tax money comes in, the parts ordering begins.....I pulled the radio and front seat, and am redoing them in my basement. Too freaking cold outside
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Wonder why I've been scarce lately? This is why . I've been working my ass off on the old gal. I want to drive her in my upcoming wedding, which was in 80 days from the time this video was shot. It's now something like 73 days away

She's not perfect, but she's getting there! New windshield goes in next week

Click the video, and enjoy!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Some current pics

Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

A 4-Holer w/4 doors...Man, it just didn't get any better in 1955...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM
M is for Memory

Seeing that thing move under it's own power again must be like getting video for the first time in a TV restoration. Congrats!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Motorola Minion

I bet making a Buick 322 V8 purr is as satisfying as seeing a bright raster.
Audiokarma
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 PM
complete novice

Just some advice, you can buy blitz black enamel paint, semi gloss black, from John Deere, they use it as a frame paint, for about 22 bucks a GALLON! I use it on everythng since its so cheap. Adding a few tea spoons of boiled linseed oil to the mix along with the thinner will give you a nicer sheen, its an old 50s trick. As well as youll want to buy the rattle cans of bed liner. Use it on your floors, ceiling and trunk before you recarpet, it will help prevetn any future rustout far better than just paint alone.

Beatiful car by the way, luckily everyhting is still available for these old girls.