Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Star Trek (Classic) 69 41.82%
The Next Generation 74 44.85%
Deep Space Nine 8 4.85%
Voyager 11 6.67%
Enterprise 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Nikko Freako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman
For me it was Jim, Spock, Bones and Scotty, and always will be. I just find them much more interesting characters;
Exactly. And thats that with that.

ACHOO!!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Hey, was the Klingon forehead-evolution ever explained?!?!?!!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg196
I remember in one episode where they went back to the Trouble With Tribbles episode, Worf was asked about it and kinda said that was something that they did not discuss.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik
I remember in one episode where they went back to the Trouble With Tribbles episode, Worf was asked about it and kinda said that was something that they did not discuss.
Yeah, I had never even thought about it until that exchange. I wonder if any AK Star Trek nerds know the answer...perhaps it was discussed in a novelization?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Don't drive angry

So, I'm the only fan of DS9?
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Rolling Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPA
So, I'm the only fan of DS9?
I'm with you. Deep space 9 had the best plots and the most developed characters and by far the most and coolest aliens on the crew. Quark is one of the strongest characters the show ever had. What other Star Trek character could sneer: “you don’t have the lobes to do it”.

DS9 had political intrigue, like an occupied planet, two different alien hotties. (Kira would kick your ass and Jadzia would invite you to count her spots.) None of the other series had a resident shape shifter. There was more going on in a single episode of DS9 than any five episodes of the original or Enterprise. Besides it’s the only series that many of the scenes take place in a bar.

There, I’ve said it.

- Pete
Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Charivari

Quote:
I caught an Enterprise rerun (couldn't be bothered to catch very many episodes of it when it was running) that explained it. According to that series, Klingons always looked like TNG Klingons. However, the K military or whatever performed an experiment in genetic engineering using some of the data that created the group of engineered humans (Khan and cronies) that resulted in a deadly virus that dissolved the cranial ridges, etc and made the infected Klingons look like TOS Klingons. The doctor saved the day figuring out how to prevent the virus from being deadly, but only after millions had been infected and turned into TOS Klingons -- with the genes that would turn their children thus as well. Kind of nice that they fixed that little mystery.

Now, while TNG was a very nice re-envisioning of the Star Trek universe, there are only a few gems of episodes and a whole lot of -- again, stilted acting and rehashed stories. Watching the reruns on Spike TV is highly repetitious, most every episode is just a slight modification on the one before, it seems. Now, DS9 was the superior show (imo) towards the end. There was actual, in depth character development, and story lines that extended over a whole season and even across seasons. It was darker than the others, but I think it managed to improve the franchise. That is, ignoring the last couple of TNG movies that were rather disappointing (did we really need The Wrath of Khan remade with Picard? I don't think so.)

- JP
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charivari
Now, DS9 was the superior show (imo) towards the end. There was actual, in depth character development, and story lines that extended over a whole season and even across seasons.

- JP

I completely agree. DS9 had twice the number of plotlines during any given episode. TNG was more of a "watch one episode" at a time show. With DS9, there were many episodes that you could find yourself lost in without seeing the ones which immediately preceeded it.

However, I still have to go with TNG for overall level of kickassification. Kickassification is a difficult thing to quantify, so don't ask me for the formula. Sorta like wpc's, but it takes bodysuits and deformed alien foreheads into consideration.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charivari
Now, while TNG was a very nice re-envisioning of the Star Trek universe, there are only a few gems of episodes and a whole lot of -- again, stilted acting and rehashed stories. Watching the reruns on Spike TV is highly repetitious, most every episode is just a slight modification on the one before, it seems. Now, DS9 was the superior show (imo) towards the end. There was actual, in depth character development, and story lines that extended over a whole season and even across seasons.

- JP
I agree, however, I think that TNG was made to be sort of a pick-it-up-anytime series where DS9 was not. Just like TOS, TNG was written so you could go 6 years between episodes and still be in the loop. DS9 needed that thick plotline to keep viewers coming back week after week. I like a lot of the TNG stuff...although Season 1 is very tough for me to watch nowadays.

And Dr. Bashir was awesome in Syriana!!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Respect.

Location: Oscillating between St. Louis, MO and Ypsilanti, MI
For me TNG was/is teh besto. Picard's confrontations and assimilation by the borg were the stuff of legends. I grew up watching TNG with my parents, which puts me in a bit of an awkward spot with most peers my age (20). Most people my age have no recollection of Picard, the Borg, etc. I always get strange looks when I quote random TNG sayings . I must say, however, that my favorite character in TNG was the Q. The cat and mouse games between Picard and Q were some of the highlights to the series in my oh so humble opinion.
Audiokarma
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Dusty Chalk

Quote:
No, but there's a funny episode of Next Generation in which they revisit the Tribbles episode brilliantly, in which it is mentioned. IIRC, Worf's response is, "I don't want to talk about it."
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I loved the original, but after "TNG" you'd go back & watch one, & it was incredible how "cheap 'n' nasty" a lot of 'em looked..And seems like a lot of the women on the original had a "trashy" look about 'em..."TNG" was very wooden & stilted at first when it came out, I thought...Took awhile to warm up to Picard...but after I did, I thought he was at least as good as Kirk...Better, in some ways...The original was very much a '60s show, w/everything that entails, just as "TNG" was an '80s show...Hell, I liked 'em both.-Sandy G.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:30 PM
AK Member

The original is when I got hooked. TNG is a close second for me.

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"
Old 02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropiler
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"

FUCK YEAH! Tanagra! That chubby alien dude was awesome! I think that episode was actually an allegory for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Darmok and Jalad! Dude, you kill me.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
AK Member

Quote:
FUCK YEAH! Tanagra! That chubby alien dude was awesome! I think that episode was actually an allegory for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Darmok and Jalad! Dude, you kill me.
Most TNG fans I knew back then hated that episode. Here's more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok_(TNG_episode)

Don't forget to scroll down to the quotes section. Gotta love it.
Audiokarma