Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2020, 01:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
Sure. The metal case should be the RF ground, but running a short wire from the nearest ground terminal is a good back up addition. BNC jacks usually come with a ground lug on the lock washer. You occasionally will have to make some modifications to thing to improve performance or ease of use. Test equipment units are tools to help repair other things, they rarely are museum pieces.
Obviously you will have to re-cap this generator. I wouldn't be surprised that some of the resistors will have to be replaced also. The switches should be cleaned. The grease in the tuning capacitor may need to be replaced. I think I see some sort of wire-wound trimmer resistor in your picture, there is none shown on the schematic. That may mean someone has made a modification. Unfortunately the manual does not have any info on adjusting the generator or troubleshooting it. You might get a general idea from the Heathkit manual info. From the schematic it looks like each RF coil has a trimmer capacitor connected to it so you can adjust the generator to one frequency on each frequency band. Also typically the frequency pointer can be aligned to one end of the scale by loosening the setscrew holding the pointer to the tuner capacitor shaft.
Well I recapped this unit already, and I got an adapter that adapts RCA jack to BNC and I was able to use the existing Mic jack to RCA jack adapter that came with the unit, and it works fine.
I was even able to use that same jack to hook to up my frequency counter and it worked fine, I just disconnected the frequency counter and then hooked up the test cables and it was fine.