Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found something really interesting!

Sorry for the vague thread title, but while I know what one of these things is and what it does, I don't know what they're called.

It's a magnifier. Has a camera in it, shows tiny things up close. But does it work?

That's a yes.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Looking For Time

Did you purchase it from this woman?

Old 04-16-2016, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nope. It was sitting on the curb three houses from where I live.

And I just did a google search and found an eBay link and holy shit... these things ain't cheap!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Old TVs are better!

This type of TV/Magnifier's are specially manufactured for people who are legally blind with very low vision. This way people who can not read normal print, view pictures, etc can use it to view the images making them very large. This one is a CRT version, however I'm sure now that there are smaller versions using flat screen monitors. Basically a CCD camera and monitor all in one unit with adjustable magnification. They are used in schools, homes and work places. Yes, they are quite expensive, even in the used market. I'm sure there are many people with low vision that could make good use of this unit. I know this for a fact, as my wife is totally blind, and I have seen these in use by others who use them on a regular basis, many times it enables them to have jobs, read books, and take classes in school. You should consider either selling it to someone who needs one, or maybe consider donating it to an organization or state department for the visually impaired.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Would like to sell it but not sure where to list it. The one on eBay was the only one listed so it could be like my SP-15 woofer. Valuable but no one wants it.
Audiokarma
Old 04-16-2016, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

We bought one for my mother who was blind in one eye
and couldnt see out of the other. Different maker. Hers was built in Westford Ma. using a 19" Panasonic B&W & camera. Very useful but when she got
into her 90's she donated it to the home ( we called it the big house )
& they all fought over it.

73 Zeno
Old 04-16-2016, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm legally blind and when I started first grade in 1983 (at a regular public school), they tried all sorts of regular magnification devices in order to help me and nothing really worked that well. My Mother then found out about the CCTV magnifiers and had me tested on one. At that time, they were made by Visualtek and the self-contained models came with either 12" B&W or green displays. There was also a bigger version that contained a separate 19" B&W monitor and there was a version that connected to a home TV (it also displayed in B&W).

My Mother approached the school system about buying me one and to make a long story short, they finally agreed to do so, with the stipulation that my parents buy me one for home use. They happily agreed to do that and I still have that unit. These cost about $2500 in 1984 dollars. In later years, when I was in college, they had some nicer units with color displays and in more recent years, the displays changed from CRT to LCD.

In addition to the one my parents bought for me, I bought a used one for $150 for use in my shop. The one in the shop is also B&W; but, it is a lot newer than the other one.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

So I've done some more research into this unit and apparently the first one I saw was outlandishly priced and they're going for about $150 Still not cheap but I just might keep it.

Because I could see this being like really useful for soldering tiny surface mount crap.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Old TVs are better!

I never thought of that but yes, they could be very useful in soldering and working on very small components. I know myself I have to many times get out my magnifying glass to see or read something, especially like the small print in the ECG transistor/component cross reference book. I think anyone who has a good use for it, can use it, as it's not always just for people who are visually impaired. I just know I have seen them used by people who have limited vision.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've actually soldered under one of these.

When I was taking electronics at the local junior college, my instructor handed me a kit and said, "I don't want to hear a word about missing parts."

It was some sort of electronic kit that he wanted us all to build and the parts were all surface mount. I built mine with the aid of that magnifier and it was the first time I'd really dealt with SMT.
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37
And I just did a google search and found an eBay link and holy shit... these things ain't cheap!
Looks nice!!

When I saw your 1st picture I thought it was a monitor!! (A Crt one)

Good for you on finding that in good shape!!
Old 04-17-2016, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah I initially thought it was an old CGA or EGA monitor, and I almost didn't grab it. Then I looked at it more closely and the lady told me it worked. So I took it home and sure enough it works.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

As expected, it's really useful for soldering tiny surface mount crap! Like for example, the tiny IC chip on the board for a remote control.