Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:34 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
The best deal of the auction by far was the Baird! I, the buyer, Steve McVoy and several other owners of similar sets agree. Absolutely unbelievable deal.

Steve must have been crying into the paving fund.
Agreed. John damn near stole that set. It was definitely a buyer's market this year, though part of that was the ETF's fault.

The order of the lots in the auction was moronic and helped depress prices. Most of the rare and valuable stuff was wedged in the middle, depressing prices in the first half as some collectors saved their budget for the middle of the auction. The set I was really after, the Rembrandt, was in the last quarter of the sets. I was comfortable spending $2000 or so, yet only spent $500 or $600 because I was expecting a much bigger fight for the Rembrandt in the last quarter of the auction. I wish now I had bid higher on the Motorola; I probably would have taken it home.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
Were the cabinets and chassis comparable condition wise?
Everything (excepting the CRT) was better in the $500 set. Tom got a great deal. $500 set is on the right.

Photo credit to Keith Gehring's FB post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2957...7896350659076/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CT-100 x 2.jpg (92.9 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by WISCOJIM; 05-07-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: added photo credit
Old 05-07-2018, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Stating the obvious, if it has a raster, there is hope. Nice looking set.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

The one thing I noticed was that the auction prices were downright brutal on anyone selling a black-and-white. I thought the Melody-Tone was cute in its unadorned cabinet, but I really have enough B&W sets already.

I was seriously considering making a good bid on the black steel CTC-16, but with no description whatever on the condition of the set, it was truly a pig in a poke.

At last, I finally have a CRT tester/rejuvenator, which I've wanted for decades.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

That clear pic of them side by side really shows how much nicer looking the one on the right is. The cabinet and cloth look pretty good and are in much better shape than the other one, looks wise.
Audiokarma
Old 05-07-2018, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it had been me that forked over 4 grand for the set with the good CRT, I would have attempted to buy both and assemble one good presentable unit from the two. The leftover set would be useful as a parts donor to keep the better example running, and for practice purposes for things like setup and alignment procedures. That said, I am happy such an interesting set went to a member here so that we all get to read about it. If they're still doing these conventions in a few years I might finally be able to go in 2022 or 2023..
Old 05-07-2018, 03:11 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
If it had been me that forked over 4 grand for the set with the good CRT, I would have attempted to buy both and assemble one good presentable unit from the two. The leftover set would be useful as a parts donor to keep the better example running, and for practice purposes for things like setup and alignment procedures. That said, I am happy such an interesting set went to a member here so that we all get to read about it. If they're still doing these conventions in a few years I might finally be able to go in 2022 or 2023..
Mine with the bad CRT was auctioned first. Whoever got the one with the good CRT would have had to find me after the auction and offer me enough to resell it... That also probably would not have been seen as a likely deal by anyone since I bid several other early color sets up to the 1-2k range before loosing....I could have also won the Admiral or Motorola if I had the guts to blow my whole TV budget.....Sad part was I was sure I had won the Admiral and the (apparently blind) auctioneer was looking at the guy behind me and ignoring me... I'm hoping for a smarter auctioneer next year.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-07-2018, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with several of the above posted comments, I wasn't able to attend this year, but I thought the museaum did a horrible job presenting these sets, as I watched the streaming feed online. What was even more aggravating for me was that I had emailed Steve McVoy 3 times confirming my absentee bid on the 21 inch Zenith color console with the horizontal line. Then I watched them sell the set for 50 bucks, completely ignoring my bid that was substantially higher. Steve did send me an email several minutes later apologizing for their incompetence, but refused to re run the item. Larry my substitute bidder was apparently "out to lunch" for that sale so as a result the seller and I both lost out. Whatever, I really believe there needs to be some changes in leadership if anything beneficial to the hobby is to come out of there in my lifetime.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

How much did the 17" metal cabinet Predicta go for?

Also how much the early 50s RCA metal cabinet B&W?

I would personally like to find a 50s Admiral color roundie, but so would many others as that one at auction got bid to over $1,000!!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

The auction results are posted on the ETF site.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/2018_...n_results.html
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Mine with the bad CRT was auctioned first. Whoever got the one with the good CRT would have had to find me after the auction and offer me enough to resell it... That also probably would not have been seen as a likely deal by anyone since I bid several other early color sets up to the 1-2k range before loosing....I could have also won the Admiral or Motorola if I had the guts to blow my whole TV budget.....Sad part was I was sure I had won the Admiral and the (apparently blind) auctioneer was looking at the guy behind me and ignoring me... I'm hoping for a smarter auctioneer next year.
Dave Abramson did an excellent job as the auctioneer IMO. He, Darryl, Steve K, and David Roper were dealing the best they could with the new auction format, and folks crowding around them while they were down on the left and right sides, while trying to keep things on schedule. I think they did a fine job. If Dave missed seeing you bid, as well as Darryl, and David who were also looking, I would blame the layout and the people squeezed in too close.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Well, let me give you *my* take on things......

First, the fact that there was no silent auction didn't have any affect on the prices but drive them up from where they would have been had most of the stuff been in the silent auction. The problem was that there were too many sets of the same type, and many of the "heavy hitters" that would have bid on the premium stuff weren't there to do so.

Anyone who took a bath on a set could've set a reserve. I'm in that category, I lost my ass on two that I had in the auction. But I made up for that in what I bought.

We had so many sets come in at the last minute that things got really stupid, and Darryl, Steve, and I did our best to keep up with everything piling in.

After the auction, I heard there was some sort of rumor circulating that the CT-100 with the restored chassis was a real hack job, and that it was basically a train wreck with a raster....which probably dropped the bidders out and pushed the other set high. Don't know, I would have had the seller address the comments if I heard it before the gavel.

Dave A did a great job as the auctioneer. Honestly? The problem was that there were not enough people and people with big vans in the parking lot to handle all of the stuff coming up for bid.

Everyone including myself watched everything that went up on the block live go for top dollar last year, so everyone took that opportunity to bring stuff in.

The only way things would have gone for normal prices or above is if people would've brought less to sell. As memory serves, there were something like 160 lots and maybe 60 guys watching the auction. Pure mathematics drove the price down, not the procedure.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been to a number of MAARC radio meets & have both bought & sold at the auctions. (It's been quite long time since I actually attended the auction, though). Typically, the room is stuffed to overflowing with sets & more being brought in right up to the last minute. The last time I went I think there were enough things being sold that everyone in attendance could have taken at least 3-4 things home, maybe a lot more. Who was the audience in those chairs? 1) Sellers. 2) Bystanders with nothing else to do that afternoon but watch. 3) Folks who haven't bought a set in a decade because they already have more than they want, but they might just bid on the right "quality" piece if it strikes them just right. 4) Bargain hunters. 5) Serious bidders, ready to spend thousands. Re-read what Tim wrote: "The problem was that there were not enough people and people with big vans in the parking lot to handle all of the stuff coming up for bid."

Now, on the radio side there is a very serious glut, and it's sad to watch. It's a lot better on the TV side but, still, there are only so many folks bidding. I'd really like to do another ETF convention (I think the one I did was '04) but 2 full days on the road is a bit of a commitment. If I still had my big old van I really think I'd have done it this year. Thing is, that van would have brought still more to sell, with the intention of bringing back very little. I would say, with my 20/20 hindsight, that I'd have driven up the price of that CTC-100 by at least a couple hundred dollars!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

First visit to ETF, and first auction of old TVs. I was there to get an education on pricing, some repair techniques, etc. So, newbie opinions will abound in the following wall of text:

During the auction, I did see a few bidders go un-noticed, and the bidding on a few items was re-started when overlooked bidders spoke up. But the thing I noticed about a few of those bidders was that they would hold up their hand just shoulder high, with a crowd of people around them, and there was also a crowd around the auctioneer. Pretty much no chance of being seen. Auctions etiquette and strategy aside, if your bid is not being recognized, speak up, man! Or raise your arm higher. Or do the number paddle thing to improve visibility. I know that sometimes one wants to hide their enthusiasm and 'front' a little bit, but it's to no avail if you're both unseen and unheard. This extends even to an auction assistant who apparently was using hand signals to register his bid with the auctioneer, except the assistant was directly behind the auctioneer -- so of course he wasn't noticed. (He also eventually spoke up, so all was good.) I guess the lesson is, if you want to buy it, speak up.

My opinions on pricing are pretty much as an outsider, and pretty limited in their scope. I thought the Predictas were pretty good deals -- apparently nicer sets (cosmetically) at less-than-Craigslist prices. Saw some younger-than-expected folks spending more-than-expected money. No issue with that at all, just a little surprised. Obviously good for the hobby down the road, too.

Can't tell if there's enough 'bandwidth' at the auction event to curate the equipment a bit more... or adjust the order of presentation. I know stuff comes in with descriptions of condition and performance, and some is listed either as 'parts' or condition unknown. Should those items auctioned in separate streams (not simultaneously) instead of either random, or first-in/first-out? (Looked for the auction list and couldn't find it.) Don't know what previous years' silent auction scenario was like. Don't know if there was a hard cutoff time for auction items or not. Also didn't notice how online bids were integrated. I think there's an opportunity to have the internet stream show more detail on the items up for bid, and less of the sea of humanity around them, which would expand the pool of remote viewers. (That video also should be shown by projector there in the room so everyone doesn't need to huddle around the auction item to see detail.) But again, don't know how many online/absentee bidders there were, aside from those who have registered their dissatisfaction -- which they are completely within their rights to do. Like I said, newbie observations.

I do have some ideas about organization of the equipment in that room, but I don't have the time, money and manpower to back it up, so I'll keep my trap shut on that. I have some areas of my own that are in equal disarray; I know how that gets.

Personally, I thought the auctioneer did a fine job. And having someone who actually knows the sets is far, far better than someone who is a typical fast-talkin' auctioneer with no real product knowledge.

Lastly, Steve needs to wear his badge so newbies can tell who he is (I saw it in the bin at the front desk, but not on him). And badges should have a VK nickname listed (or other sites) if the attendee wants to. (I know some people wrote this in themselves.)

I did learn about a few things, and met a few people. And I'll probably make it back next year, too, as schedules permit. And if I've got things wrong, do say so. Comments are welcome.

On edit: There's another 'assumption' that I had about the auction... I had assumed that running sets would be shown in operation, either in auction preview or at time of bid. Electrical logistics and fire code may stand in the way of that, and sellers may prefer not to show that. But I would think, "Set is working, and here you see it working" would be good for some of the higher-end sets. May have been done on the auction preview part of the site -- work didn't allow lots of time to spend on prep for this event.

Last edited by Chip Chester; 05-07-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

A lot of antique auctions I go to the auctioneers do not move around. They stay in one spot and just have flatscreens showing what item is being sold. No crowding around the auctioneer or bidders trying to see what is for sale over peoples heads that way. Items have to be numbered and sold in order. whether that would work here I have no idea.

I enjoyed watching the video and thought everyone did as good as they could. I had to really pay attention as I often couldnt see what was being sold but they announced it. I just kept a browser window open with the pics of the tv's being sold so I could look at them if I wanted too, the higher priced ones.
Audiokarma