Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Particular CRT spot size

Hello folks of Videokarma,

Some time ago I got a strange old Matsushita RF equipment that has a 9" CRT.
Literally in NIB/NOS condition! No use! Zero dirt inside!
Since I already assembled a TV in the past, I thinking in use the CRT/yoke for making a little B&W TV or monitor with tubes where applicable (not in the H part, due do too low yoke inductance).
I tested it using it's own HV supply, and a spare chassis from a Sony TV-700U for feeding horizontal, vertical and video.
But, at testing, I discovered that the spot size varies too much, completely losing definition with bright image, blooming a lot, and bright and contrast are very poor (reminds a worn CRT). The auxiliary voltages in this flyback don't change (in fact, is stabilized).
In fact, the original equipment uses a variation of vector mode (x-y display), and is scanned only one line at maximum 20Hz (is easy to achieve bright this manner, like in a TV with inoperative vertical).

I don't have a HV proble yet, so I only wonder if this CRT is feed with too low HV, or is a CRT not optimized for TV using?
I had some hope, since some guys use oscilloscope CRT for making electrostatic deflected sets.

So, what is going on?

The CRT code is 23BLB4 (impossible to got info in the Net).
Old 04-03-2023, 12:22 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

The electron guns in oscilloscope CRTs are definitely not optimized for video use. Typically, they have a halo around the main spot that greatly reduces picture contrast when used as a scanned display. I think just about everyone who has worked in a TV receiver design lab has seen someone try this trick just to see how it works, with the same result.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

This confirms my suspicion...

Apparently, I was misled by the tube shape of this equipment, which made me assume it was just a cheap B&W TV tube being used by the maker for this equipment model (since is a tube for magnetic deflection). My testing showed me is not the case; and really have a lot of halo in the lines/bright zones as you described, acting more like a oscilloscope CRT.

Ohhh, my project was cancelled...