Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
VK Member

1941 Admiral 4208 C6

This radio followed me home from an antique store about 6 years ago. The power switch was bad and the filter caps were shot, but all the major parts were there. I ordered replacement caps and pulled the chassis out of the cabinet.

Well, like most other things, stuff kept getting in the way. While the chassis sat on a shelf in the shop, the cabinet served decorative duty in the living room. I finally decided to do something about it and cleared off the workbench.

Turns out this set was full of rubber wiring, most of which was cracked beyond repair. Changing that out along with the caps took the better part of an afternoon, but with that work done, the set roared to life with excellent sensitivity on the AM band.

The cabinet was in decent shape, with only a few scuffs and scratches. A quick once-over with some hand cleaner and a fine Scotchbrite pad removed years of built-up gunk and the scuffs, and a wipedown with stain covered the scratches and scuffs nicely.

I've been listening to it all week after I get home from work. It picks up several distant stations quite well, including WSM, 740 AM in Toronto, and KWKH in Shreveport. The volume is room-filling and it's got pretty good bass response.

The phono is behind the doors below the dial. I have cleaned it up and started tinkering with the mechanism. I don't know how far I'll get with it; it's only a 78 player. I'll have to find some records. I've been using the phono input for an MP3 player in the meantime.

The picture isn't all that great; excuse the cell phone camera.

I'd almost forgotten how much fun it was to bring one of these radios back to life. Got a bunch of capacitors on order and hope to get a couple more radios going while the weather's cold.

-Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00134-20110118-2325.jpg (42.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-21-2011, 05:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice, and good that you can enjoy it now. Also nice that kitty has a bedbox to snuggle in, AND that from the photo, the Admiral appears to guard its grille cloth very well from kitties.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.