Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

The forum thread that Sleddog uncovered had a lot of chatter about whether or not the antenna feed-through would make the converter box less sensitive, and maybe that's why it's been left off of most of them. Hard enough to get a non-blocky, non-dropout DTV signal at any distance, much less if you lose 3db in your pass-thru circuit to boot. Any thoughts on this from the masters?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs down Fry's Electronics doesn't take the coupons!

Went to Fry's, found the Channel Master converter box, it has an S video output jack. But Fry's doesn't take the government $40 coupon...
Old 05-09-2008, 10:05 AM
AK Member

Is that one of the boxes that does not qualify for the coupon perhaps because it has the SVHS output??
Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAdams View Post
Is that one of the boxes that does not qualify for the coupon perhaps because it has the SVHS output??
This box was just recently qualified it is true, but it had nothing to do with the S-video feature.

Also, you can get a Channel Master somewhere else and use the $40 coupon for a final purchase price of $49 or less, at least ten dollars less than the Frys price. I opted however for the Frys discounted price (okay, plus shipping) so I can get another 'basic' unit for $18, the out-of-pocket cost of my Magnavox.

Also Kbmuri, maybe there's something I don't understand about this, but I'm looking for a feed-through with mechanical switching that's not going to lose half the power.

Pete

As fate would have it, the doorbell just rang and the still unopened unit is now in my hands. Pretty FAST service, Frys...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation

I just ordered a CM 7000 at http://www.solidsignal.com/

You type in your coupon's number as you check out on their web page order form pages. Obviously afterwards you have a spent coupon card you get to keep...

On the product guide web page they had specs:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...d=CM-7000#MORE

TUNER:

Frequency Range: 54 to 864 MHz
Input Impedance: 75 Ohm
Input Connector: F-Type, Female
Channel Bandwith: 6 MHz
Input Dynamic Range: -83 to -5 dBM / SNR - 15 dB

No other box had specs, so I don't know if the above are exceptional performance specs, or lousy...

Seems that there is an inactive RCA jack for digital audio, and they left out a buffer circuit inside to make the box qualify for the coupon. A handful of transistors and resistors and caps (probably a 75 ohm driver circuit to buffer a chip's output).

From http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1004274&page=3 post 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo99 View Post
Fry's has the CM-7000 on sale again, so I went and picked one up. See attached for a closeup view of the digital output circuit.

Missing are 4 resistors, 3 capacitors, and 2 transistors. Using a DMM, I measured +1.65V @ RA7, +5V @ RD60, and +5V @ CD28/QD9. Any theories what the missing component values should be?

@drlava, actually it does support anamorphic widescreen. Simply hit the "Wide" button on the remote to select the "Full" picture setting.
Excellent info!
Here's a quick visual analysis:

The 1.65V is the rms voltage of the 3.3V biphase manchester encoded data coming from the chip. This goes to the amp/buffer PNP transistor QD10 whose emitter (and base of QD9) is biased by RD60. QD9 may be a NPN transistor with a buffer cap on its collector (CD28). Its output goes to impedance matching/filter network RD61, 62, and CD29, and is finally AC coupled to the coax output through CD30.
RA7 may be necessary for signal integrity to cut down on ringing, or provide additional pull up or pull down current.

With one of these in hand, I could probably have a working solution in an hour or less.
This box has S video, so one could split off the luma channel to in turn feed a TV modulator that then feeds a B&W TV set. Like my 1950 Admiral.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Channel Master? Wow, I wasn't sure that brand was still around...
I got the DTV Coupons, still need to get some more converters....I think I will stay with Insignia. I'll try and see if that new model is out...it seems like the Insignias were the same as Zenith/LG but mine that I got in Feb. or March doesn't seem to have audio problems.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
Channel Master? Wow, I wasn't sure that brand was still around...
I got the DTV Coupons, still need to get some more converters....I think I will stay with Insignia. I'll try and see if that new model is out...it seems like the Insignias were the same as Zenith/LG but mine that I got in Feb. or March doesn't seem to have audio problems.
Channel Master, like so many other electronic products, is in name only.

Channel Master - One Company/One Source
http://www.channelmaster.com/home.htm

Oh! Wait a minute. Andrew Corp. which owned the Channel Master name is now owned by Commscope Corp.

CommScope ::: Andrew :::
http://aw.commscope.com/eng/index.html
Naw...CommScope sold the "CHANNEL MASTER" name to this outfit:

PCT International, Inc.
http://www.pctinternational.com/

I think?

-Steve D.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Channel Master, like so many other electronic products, is in name only.
-Steve D.
Ouch. I see Cyrillic banners on that CommScope website. Figures. The CM-7000 carton says made in Bulgaria.

There was a bright red meatball on the front panel and no response from the remote, first time I plugged it in. Somehow after cycling the power on and off a few times (with the power plug; there's no on-off switch) it did manage to search for stations and feed video to the CT-100.

Haven't been able to invoke the 'crop' option to fill in the 15GP22 with all the magic color it finds in commercial broadcasts. Wait a minute. I haven't actually found the crop option. As a matter of fact, I haven't even been able to select half of the options on the menu. Acts as though the firmware is not the full Monty.

Of course, I'm an old guy and this may all be a case of operator error. Funny though, the Magnavox set up in a snap.

I'm going to keep it for the CTC169, but the Maggie is back on the Merrill.

Pete
Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmmm...I'd rather send my money to Bulgaria than China, but if it doesn't work...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
I just ordered a CM 7000 at http://www.solidsignal.com/

You type in your coupon's number as you check out on their web page order form pages. Obviously afterwards you have a spent coupon card you get to keep...
Have you received it yet? I also have a CM 7000 on order from solidsignal.com. I ordered a Winegard RC-DT09 at the same time, and entered my two coupons at checkout. It's taking a questionable amount of time to fill (15 days so far). According to their "order details" page, the order is "in progress" and still has not shipped.

I've been a regular satisfied customer in the past, so I've recommended them here. They sent my Philco box immediately, but I didn't use a coupon. Maybe that matters. I also ordered two large antennas from them and got them pronto.

Anybody else experiencing a delay?

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Audiokarma
Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis View Post
Also Kbmuri, maybe there's something I don't understand about this, but I'm looking for a feed-through with mechanical switching that's not going to lose half the power...
This is what I read:
Quote:
I'm watching CSpan this morning, and a senator asked why the FCC did not require pass-through as a feature in the eligible boxes, and Meridith Attwell Baker, acting assistant Commerce Secretary for Communications & Information said it was because they determined that there would be a signal loss of 3dB in boxes with that feature. Sad...
from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014511

But it's just hearsay on a forum. Who knows how true.

Check here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008310 and search the page for "passthrough". I guess there's some setup to make passthru work better in the Philco maybe?

I didn't notice a problem with mine.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are a couple of articles by people who are not too keen on the switch. Some of the comments are entertaining also.

http://www.edn.com/blog/1700000170/p...&rid=738728466

http://www.teletruth.org/DTV.htm

Some of the second persons problems could be due to the low power levels being used for transmission at present. However, I have had issues in windy or stormy weather and I am only about 30 miles from the transmitters.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
...but if it doesn't work...
How right you are, Bryan.

[1]Yes, this operator had some difficulty interpreting the menu, but that finally got resolved.

[2]Unfortunately, about three minutes after the CM-7000 tuned to a channel, it would crap out. A check of the signal strength meter showed it fluttering down into the mud until a 'no signal' message appeared on the 15GP22. After a short 'off' period, the whole thing repeats.

Called Frys yesterday who agreed to send another one for exchange.

Received email today saying Frys cancelled the order because they couldn't confirm my credit card.

Checked my bank and saw the withdraw pending.

Called Frys today who agreed to send another one for exchange.

Stay tuned...!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

SolidSignal says this:
Quote:
Solid Signal apologizes that we could not fill your order promptly while abiding to government regulations on your Digital Converter Boxes.

More so, I want to apologize for not updating you sooner on your order.
We are waiting for more stock on the CM-7000 and should have them back in inventory early next week. We will ship out your complete order the same day.

Please know, we value you as a customer and again apologize that you did not get an update.

Audrey Chapman
Customer Satisfaction Manager
SOLID SIGNAL
Maybe there's some sort of a reliability/recall issue with CM-7000

Audiokarma