Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:27 PM
sleddogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Well the boxes finally arrived at our stor yesterday. I'm sure they are funai since they are Magnavox brand. Retail price is $49.87. They have rf out and composite video out. I have applied for my coupons, and will buy a couple of boxes to use in case cable goes down.

Bill R
What store is that?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I checked walmart's web site and found a Magnavox and an RCA (Thomson) box. Both are not available online nor or they available in-store within 100 miles from my home. We'll probably be the last location in the USA to get them, LOL!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I work at Wal-Mart

Bill R
Old 02-02-2008, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I checked both Wal-Mart and Circuit City here-still no converters. Circuit City did have a HDTV tuner for sale that could be used with RF converter. Cost was 169.99. This is the same type of item that I have been getting used onf Ebay for $36-46.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes...a store would help. I have a local tv station wanting to do a story on them using my old sets. Nothing seen in Phila yet.

Dave A
Old 02-03-2008, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

As I mentioned in another thread, a local independent tv shop is searching desperately for boxes to sell. All the wholesalers are telling him they have backorders in the hundreds. If anyone knows of a source for a small shop pass it along and I'll let him know.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dave A, if you are desperate, Circuit City(at least in my area) is selling an Samsung ASTC tuner with composite video output(169.95). This can be used with a RF converter. The RF converters are very common with Wal-Mart selling them as well as electronic equipment stores.

This is what I am doing at present, but with both a used ATSC tuner from Ebay($ less than $50) and the RJTech model available from Newegg.com($80). Of these two, the used one seems to be of better quality. I think this is because it is from a defunct cable TV company.

Of course, there is no coupon discount for these tuners and it takes two items vs the one that will be needed with the mandated converter(with RF outut). However, it does demonstrate that an analog TV(even a very old one) can display Digital TV.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

peverett,

I have a LG DVD recorder with all the digital tuners and it works fine. Even in ATSC/clearQAM signals. Actually better than my LG 23" HD set and it's tuner.

My local station is looking for the next-to-free little box that they can show to their viewers to preview what is to come...and a lesson to their viewers to what they need to do to continue to receive them and keep the ratings up.

Remember that about 30% of most tv's get their signal OTA. They want to salvage that.

I will gladly entertain a loan of the early boxes with a full return and credit for the help with this. Or I will just buy the miserable thing from you.

There is still the problem of my being on the fringe of OTA DTV. I'll figure that out later.

Dave A
Old 02-03-2008, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have not found the mandated receiver/converters in my area either. I checked both Wal-Mart and Circuit City. Have not checked Best Buy or Frys as they are farther from my house.

However, I did see the item below on Newegg.com. It appears to have the RF output, am not sure. It is not the one that I have with the composite output.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882107064

One note about Newegg, if a product is defective, it must be returned to the manufacturer, Newegg will not take it back.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

one little gotcha of course is mom and pop want to watch one show and "tape" another... mmm...you know like than can now ..just tell they will need two set top tuners...
Audiokarma
Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

The coupon-eligible boxes will not be widely available for another month or two. That is also when the coupons we signed up for in January will be sent out.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

From what I have heard coupons should start going out in a couple of weeks. We only have 8 in stock now, but I suggested we order up a pallet of them before the warehouse starts outing the stores. Everyone should own at least one in case cable or sat. goes out in an emergancy.

Bill R
Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Andy has been correct. However, the used digital tuners seem to be becomming more popular on Ebay. I have had to bid higher recently to get them(I have gotten 3 or 4 so far-I have several old TVs and each seems to drive 4 TVs without issues). I think that this is because people are realizing that standard broadcast is going away and this is a cheap way to get a good digital receiver.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I just bought another HD receiver on Ebay, for $35 shipped, after buying one from the same seller for my neighbor. I think this model may even allow converted DTV signals from its channel 3/4 RF output. I will know later tonight for sure. (It has RF output because it is a combo OTA/DirecTV HD receiver.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma