Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can anyone ID this Silvertone?

I picked up my newest project, this wooden Silvertone, at the local flea market for $25. The model tag is gone and all I know about it is that it's a five tube AC set with standard broadcast and one SW band. I'd guess it to be from around '34. I'd like to know the model number, what year it was made, and who made it for Sears. I figure this will be a nice radio, once restored. I also picked up an early '50's plastic GE for $10. It has a repairable crack and the cabinet needs a good cleaning and polish job; but, I think it too will turn out nice. I have not yet pulled the back; so, I don't know what's inside. Probably an AA5 miniature tube set.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

A real good site I have found is the "Radio Attic Archives" for identifying model numbers of old radios. This looks like the Silvertone you have here:

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=3080
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I "fixed" the GE. Then, I parted it out. To get it playing, I had to replace the filter cap and a dead 12SA7. Even though the chassis had severe rust, the tuning capacitor was severely gunked up, and the cabinet had more cracks than I'd first noticed; I decided to proceed with the recap. That all stopped when the 35Z5 socket broke while replacing the "across the line" cap. Since the radio is in poor shape, I decided not to go to the effort of changing a socket. So, I pulled the speaker and the tubes, cut off the AC cord, and put it all back together. I can either throw the rest of the radio in my "parts radio" pile or I can let a friend, who sells second hand junk, try to sell this for a few $ as a shelf queen. I think this model of GE is still common enough that it shouldn't be too hard to find a nicer example that has not lived such a hard life. Oh well, it's "junker" radios like this that provide us with spare parts to fix the nicer sets.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was trying to figure out the maker; I have the Silvertone catalog book and this set isn't in it. There are a couple battery sets that are similiar in style. One was made by Stewart-Warner and the other is listed as "Coronet/Phonovision". The chassis just doesn't have the "look" of the Colonial-built sets.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Someone on ARF told me that this set was built in '37 by a small radio firm called Corona. And, they said this set was only available through it's retail stores and was not offered in the mail order catalogs.
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Corona of Chicago is the manufacturer. The remnants of that paper license tag is proof.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you tell us how many of each tube are in it, it can be looked up in a Mallory's Radio Service Encyclopedia.