Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony 3F-77W AM/FM portable: AA batteries don't fit(?!)

Mrs. H has a vintage Sony 3F-77W pocket-sized AM/FM portable radio.
She decided she wanted to use it (for the first time in a long time) one day last weekend. The radio takes 3 AA sized cells (4.5 VDC).

Long story short, "modern" AA cells don't quite want to fit in the battery compartment. They are slightly too long! I can get them to work (make contact) but they are shoehorned in such a way that the 50-ish year old plastic case is stressed.

I tried two different kinds of AA cells that I found around the house (Duracell and the house-brand batteries from a regional "Big Box", Costco-like store).

Many, many years ago, I remember a similar problem with a very specific photo flash unit (Vivitar 272) and Duracell 9V batteries. Mallory (Duracell) had very slightly changed the metal shell construction on their 9V batteries, and the compartment cover on the flash wouldn't quite fit. Both companies actually delivered a solution: Mallory made a change to their batteries and Vivitar offered a replacement battery compartment cover that would accommodate slightly 'taller' batteries!

Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone else had this problem -- with AA cells and any vintage radios, that is!

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2020, 12:16 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I have not yet run into this with AA cells but I have with the 9V batteries. I have a NOS Westinghouse 6 transistor radio with fitted leather case. I wanted to use it since it works and is in mint condition. I inserted a 9V battery only to discover it is an extremely tight fit. I can get the back on but it is difficult and I don't want to risk breaking anything so it is just a shelf queen. I have resorted to buying high quality modern radios for daily listening which all use AA batteries and my vintage portables are mostly display items. Many vintage sets were just big enough to hold the batteries, I guess to push the limits of miniaturisation.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do you have a vice? I have successfully crushed the length of too long AA cells at least 25 thousands of an inch, and they still work fine. Be sure to insulate one end of the cell so it is not shorted out by the vice jaws. YMMV

jr
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah the bump on the + side is hollow and can be easily flattened, on some brands is can even be removed as it's held on by the shrink wrap/metal label of the battery.

Modern AAs fit tightly in my Sony WM-D3 cassette Walkman, but they seem too fat instead of too long......