Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

tv signal transmitter

hey all i am trying to find out what the name of the unit is called or what to look for. i am looking for the unit that sends tv signals to use for vintage tvs that use an antenna i think they called them a rabbit at one time to send a tv signal to another part of the house for another tv. i would guess it gets tied into the cable output and then it transmits the signal so i could use tvs without running seperate cable lines with the matching transformers.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Blonder-Tongue Agile Modulator...I THINK that's what you're looking for.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator

I believe it is the Rabbit VCR Extender in this case, I have one still in the box somewhere here.
I'm not sure how it works but I think it broadcasts a signal similar to the way an Agile Modulator does.

Here's a link to one: http://s593.beta.photobucket.com/use...y/RABBIT%20VCR
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I remember the Rabbit....but I thought that was just a pair of RCA jacks extended between two proprietary boxes. Used for watching a VCR or something in the front room, in another room. I don't remember those actually transmitting a VHF or UHF frequency.

If you wanna stay relatively "vintage"....Go with the Blonder Tongue

If you wanna go a little more modern, and only wanna transmit on one channel...but have it be a FLAWLESS signal, you could go with one of these that I run in my little flat. It's good for around 300 feet around if you replace it's silly little antenna with just a good set of rabbit ears:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HLLY-TVX-50m...item3a7bef35b1

The only thing I'll deffinately discourage AGAINST...is the little Ramsey kit TV transmitter. I've built two of those and they ARE fun to play with, but I could never get one to be stable enough to use for more than a few minutes...and only a few feet away.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Administrator

That looks like a nice compact solution, but $99 is a bit steep.

I liked this part of the description "This item only ship to world wide"
Only Worldwide, where else would it ship?
Audiokarma
Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

yes the rabbit i think was for vcr but i could plug the rcas in the modulator and it will send out what ever channel you have on.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
LOL Eric.....I actually called them to order one. GOOD thing I speak Cantonese, because there was very little English to be found.

You can buy the board itself for like $78, which is what I originally did. As soon as I realized this thing was deffinately a keeper...I called them and got the little aluminum chassis shipped to me for like $25. They FORGOT to send me the three little buttons.....but figured I'd just skip it and use a screwdriver when I wanna change something. It DOES remember your frequency settings in flash.

Yes....it's a bit "steep", but I saw a YouTube of how this thing performed, and I wanted the digital PLL tuning so I would never suspect the transmitter if I was troubleshooting a set. This thing runs 24/7....365 a year, so I also wanted this to be relatively invisible to my electric bill.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Learning as I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I remember the Rabbit....but I thought that was just a pair of RCA jacks extended between two proprietary boxes. Used for watching a VCR or something in the front room, in another room. I don't remember those actually transmitting a VHF or UHF frequency.

If you wanna stay relatively "vintage"....Go with the Blonder Tongue

If you wanna go a little more modern, and only wanna transmit on one channel...but have it be a FLAWLESS signal, you could go with one of these that I run in my little flat. It's good for around 300 feet around if you replace it's silly little antenna with just a good set of rabbit ears:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HLLY-TVX-50m...item3a7bef35b1

The only thing I'll deffinately discourage AGAINST...is the little Ramsey kit TV transmitter. I've built two of those and they ARE fun to play with, but I could never get one to be stable enough to use for more than a few minutes...and only a few feet away.
So can the blonder tongue receive and transmit more than one channel simultaneously? I dont know much about these transmitter thingies.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

All the HLLY transmitters here. And $1 cheaper than the bid start. And a few higher power units also;

http://www.hllytransmitter.com/low-p...ansmitter.html

The BT modulator is a transmitter only. It is usually used in a closed MATV system to convert an A/V signal to a specific channel. The "agile" refers to it being able to thumbwheel switch to a specific channel in the old 2-83 analog broadcast band. Slap on a rabbit ears and it becomes a true OTA transmitter.

Last edited by Dave A; 11-28-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

This article explains how I use a surplus Blonder-Tongue agile modulator as an in-home TV transmitter:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/HomeTVTransmitter.htm

You plug in your source -- anything that provides standard audio/video signal -- and it transmits on one channel at a time, using an old set of rabbit ears or a more elaborate antenna if you like.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Audiokarma
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Too bad "Blonder-Tongue" made these things, instead of RCA, Zenith, Motorola.....You tell people you have a "Blonder-Tongue Agile Modulator", & I sure get a LOT of "Fish-Eye" looks..But that's OK, most people around here think I'm AT LEAST half-a-bubble offa plumb, anyhow, w/a Pilot TV-37, the 1911A1 7" Admiral, & the Porthole Zenith...(grin)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Too bad "Blonder-Tongue" made these things, instead of RCA, Zenith, Motorola.....You tell people you have a "Blonder-Tongue Agile Modulator", & I sure get a LOT of "Fish-Eye" looks.
I suppose you could get a blonder tongue from licking some Limed Oak furniture...

I'd like to get one of those little transmitters, they look a lot easier to change channels on than the BT units, also a lot of people seem to have problems with rolling bars with the BT's.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Being the consummate Smart-Ass I truly am, I NEVER bother to tell' em otherwise about "Blonder-Tongue"..Until the very end. Most people around here know I have a "WEIRD" sense of humor, anyway...My little "Girlfriend", Bethany, just rolled her eyes, & made excuses for me when I'd pop off w/some OUTRAGEOUS comment...Kinda bad when a 13-yr-old kid is more MATURE in a LOT of ways, than YOU are...But Bethany knew I loved her like she was my own kid, & never held it against me..She's gonna make me a "Pseudo" Papaw come March/April...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

And another possible xmtr. I brought home a Drake unit that I decommisioned in the great HD changeover at my ballpark.

This is a one rack unit high Drake modulator set using Drake VMM860AP units laying on their side. There is another version that is two rack units high and holds up to twelve VM modulator cards and the PS. This one has a PS and three agile modulators I did a quick test last week using the modulators on different channels. I stuck a straight wire in the connector and all was well for the quick test. RF output is variable on the front and I cranked it up.

I got good signals on various V/U channels with a Walkman tv all around the house and outside.

Last edited by Dave A; 11-28-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo