Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2016, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Runco 980 / NEC 6PG high voltage snap crackle pop

My main TV isn't a TV at all, but rather a Runco CRT HDTV projector. Have had it installed for almost 12 years, with a few reliability issues.

1. Convergence amplifier failure required replacement of STK amplifier modules twice. (2012 and 2013)

2. Runco line doubler had bad solders on power transformer, this created reliability issues and needed repair (about 2008)

Now it has a new issue. While it's operating I can hear periodic high voltage arcing happening, as though insulation is breaking down. This sound is very familiar to me having worked on old tube type TV sets.

Inside the projector is an over complex mess of wiring and circuit boards, with a lot of status indicator LEDs and stuff which make it impossible to view the high voltage wiring in total darkness.

Attached is the schematic for the high voltage wiring. Note the use of two flybacks in parallel, and the large amount of high voltage connection points.

Any assistance in how to troubleshoot this problem would be greatly appreciated, as well as some direction on where to get spare parts. If it needs a new flyback or something I am lost as to where to find it.

At the moment there are no issues with the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEC.jpg (77.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by maxhifi; 12-07-2016 at 12:13 PM.