Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Banned

Silvertone Stereophonic Record Player issues

Hello everyone a couple of weeks ago I was given to work on for one of my customers a 1959 Silvertone Stereophonic HI-FI Suitcase Record player which I was able to get going except for the tonearm doesn't want to go over and drop onto the record after the record has dropped onto the platter it just drops the tonearm back on its rest. Any ideas as to how I could go about fixing that issue?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

most record changer issues are due to the grease getting hard and gummy with age, or from oil getting onto friction drive surfaces that should not be lubricated.
If your unit shuts off when it does that, something in the auto shut-off or overarm is not moving freely.
Look up Chris cuff's videos on youtube, I think hes done some Silvertone changers.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
most record changer issues are due to the grease getting hard and gummy with age, or from oil getting onto friction drive surfaces that should not be lubricated.
If your unit shuts off when it does that, something in the auto shut-off or overarm is not moving freely.
Look up Chris cuff's videos on youtube, I think hes done some Silvertone changers.
Interestingly enough the unit didn't really have much grease to get gummy, in fact it seems that they used graphite grease and when I touched what little of the grease there was on the unit, it was still pliable yet (it rubbed off onto my fingers pretty easily) and when you trigger the changer mechanism it goes through and drops the record fine without the turntable or mechanism hanging up mid cycle, but when it goes to take the tonearm over to the record and drop it onto the record it doesn't want to do it, it just drops the tonearm back onto the tonearm rest, and no it doesn't turn off when it does it, it only turns off when it does the end of the record cycle which is what its supposed to do.

The changer looks almost like an early Voice of Music changer but I'm guessing it might not be... It hs the overarm for the changer on the opposite side of the tonearm and it has the speed switch and power switch on one switch (they aren't seperate switches like later Voice of Music changers were.)

Any ideas?

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ususally there is some kind of friction drive for the tonearm movement, if that gets oil on it it will slip and not move the tonearm. Most changers have 2 different systems for moving the tonearm, one to set the needle on the record, linked to the size sensor, and another system or cam track for placing the tonearmback on the rest post during the shutoff cycle. Yours might be sticking on the shutoff cycle.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
Ususally there is some kind of friction drive for the tonearm movement, if that gets oil on it it will slip and not move the tonearm. Most changers have 2 different systems for moving the tonearm, one to set the needle on the record, linked to the size sensor, and another system or cam track for placing the tonearmback on the rest post during the shutoff cycle. Yours might be sticking on the shutoff cycle.
The bottom of the tonearm mechanism has a rather large lead counterweight attached to it and that's attached to the trip lever. Maybe I could get a picture of the turntable in question. But the changer mechanism is working perfectly as it should the only part that's not working is when you have the unit turned on to warm up the tubes in the amp and you have a record stacked onto the top of the spindle with the support arm resting on it and you go to trigger the changer to drop the record using the reject switch it will go through every step of the changer cycle perfectly without hangup except for when it comes to the point where the tonearm needs to come over from the tonearm rest area and then set down onto the record to start playing the record, that's where I'm having the issues with the tonearm not wanting to go over and drop down onto the record like it should, it just stays over in the tonearm rest area and then at the point where the tonearm is supposed to come over and drop onto the record the tonearm just drops back down onto the tonearm rest but doesn't trigger it to shut off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2625.jpg (73.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2626.jpg (80.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-08-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Banned

OK so I got it going now, the problem was that the counterbalance weight on the bottom side of the tonearm was set in the wrong position so I fixed that, then I readjusted the tonearm setdown position screw ontop and that fixed my issue.