Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

'86 RCA 9" AC/DC XL100 color TV

Someone I know, who sells used TV's, brought this by for repair. It turns out that all it needed was a 75/300 matching transformer and it now has a decent picture. This is one of those sets that has a signal seeking tuner and while it's scanning for channels, a green vertical line (red for UHF) scans across the screen until a channel is found.

I could probably get this TV for very little money if I wanted it; but, I have not made up my mind. I have not pulled the back; so, I don't know what chassis this TV uses. One thing that draws me to this set is that it was built during the final year of "real" RCA TV's.

Years ago, we had a red RCA that was similar to this set; but, it was a year or two newer. I've also seen an older version that had a side mounted single knob varactor tuner.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, it looks like I'll wind up with this set. My friend sold it once, only to have it come back in two hours. The reason it came back was because the woman's husband wouldn't let her keep it because it wasn't a remote set. They were going to put it in the kid's room, the kids are too lazy to actually walk over to the TV to control it; therefore, they'd leave it on all the time. Had they been my kids, they would be told that the TV does not have a remote and that they'd have to actually get up off their fanny in order to operate it. I'd then add that the first time I caught it on in the middle of the night or when they were not in the room, the TV would be gone.

So, he sold it again last Saturday. It came back a second time with a similar story and he gave them their money back. When he told me this, I was so outraged that I told him to bring the SOB over here the next time he came and I'd buy it. I mean, what do these people expect for $15? a TOTL TV? There's been times that I've given $15 for a TV that didn't even work! Of course, that was back when they were worth a lot more on the used market. I can remember a time that I could have gotten $75 for this set, since it's an AC/DC model, easily and I wouldn't have had to worry about it coming back.

I can tell you that most of the people my friend sells to are towards the lower end of the spectrum and the only actions they have a lot of energy for is to create another baby and to go to the liquor store; so, it shouldn't surprise me that they expect a TOTL TV for nothing.

BTW, sometime between the first time I saw it and today, it lost it's plastic speaker grille. Otherwise, it's in nice shape. Since it's an RCA, maybe I can find another grille for it.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Heck I'd take it, screw the remote!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a video I made of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5DFt9Y3hnE