Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I went back to that same thrift store today and saw they put out some more of those Star Treks, some next generation too. Now I'm only 9 episodes away from having all of the original series on VHS. They come from two different sets though. Some of mine are these ones in larger silver cases with 2 episodes/tape (these are the ones I just picked up), and some are in smaller black cases with 1 episode/tape.

They didn't have any more Twilight Zones, but I already had a complete set of those (all 5 seasons on VHS). But I did get some more James Bonds, two blank VHS tapes still sealed, an unopened copy of Star Trek 9, a copy of Star Trek III on betamax, and some records the highlights of which were a nice copy of Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream, and one of those K-Tel disco albums.

Last edited by Adam; 10-20-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I went back to that same thrift store today and saw they put out some more of those Star Treks, some next generation too. Now I'm only 9 episodes away from having all of the original series on VHS. They come from two different sets though. Some of mine are these ones in larger silver cases with 2 episodes/tape (these are the ones I just picked up), and some are in smaller black cases with 1 episode/tape.

They didn't have any more Twilight Zones, but I already had a complete set of those (all 5 seasons on VHS). But I did get some more James Bonds, two blank VHS tapes still sealed, an unopened copy of Star Trek 9, a copy of Star Trek III on betamax, and some records the highlights of which were a nice copy of Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream, and one of those K-Tel disco albums.
The thrift stores around here don't sell VHS anymore. They claimed they weren't selling, but I always looked them over. When people bring them in, they refuse them or they just throw in the dumpster.
Those ratty K-Tel records are short versions of the hit records. They cut off the song before it's completely finished.
I never was much of a Trekie. I think I saw one complete episode.
Now, the Sopranos is my kind of series.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 PM
M is for Memory

Pewaukee and Waukesha sometimes have a few tapes on the shelves, but most of it is DVD...VHS decks have reduced to a trickle too. Odds are most tape donations corresponded with the glut of decks that recently died down...Folks probably dumped their decks and tapes at the same time and now that most folks don't have tape or decks anymore most have vanished.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-23-2018, 01:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been doing well at this one store, I went back today, and no more tapes, but I picked up a working Beta VCR.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've been doing well at this one store, I went back today, and no more tapes, but I picked up a working Beta VCR.
Is it a Sony? That's the only one I'd consider!
I thought the Sanyos , Toshibas and NEC were dogs, but if it was cheap enough, I would have bought it for a trading piece.
Audiokarma
Old 10-24-2018, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's a Sony SuperBeta (but not the stereo model) missing the control door, only paid 2 bucks for it. Right now it's only one of only two Beta VCRs I have working, out of 7 total. My VHS average is better: 10/14 working. CED players 2/3, TVs 28/39.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:35 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice Adam
Old 11-20-2018, 12:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

A top-loader Panasonic VCR from 1984...that seems to have a belt problem. Worst part is, I can't find the manual for it without paying 22 dollars!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Im so sorry....I hope you can get it fixed soon
Old 11-30-2018, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESigma25 View Post
A top-loader Panasonic VCR from 1984...that seems to have a belt problem. Worst part is, I can't find the manual for it without paying 22 dollars!

First-world problem!
Audiokarma
Old 12-01-2018, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im so sorry....I hope you can get it fixed soon
I think I found a source of replacement belts and some diagrams online so hey, might actually be able to fix this one.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Good luck to ya my friend
Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ended up buying another 80s VCR that doesn't work, a RCA VMT385 (which is Hitachi internally). The Panasonic had a mode switch issue but this RCA must have a broken belt as it doesn't pull the tape out of the cartridge.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

I buy about 50 VHS tapes on average a week (sell 1,000-1,200 a year online on Ebay and Amazon donate back others). Of course these include home recorded stuff as well as commercial releases.

Some stuff of note I found recently:

-48 Hours and Local Hero recorded off The Movie Channel around 1985 or so, even came with an original Scotch hard shell VHS protective case
-3:15, one of my favorite 1980s gang movies (original 1986 Media release, never released on DVD or Bluray)
-Scanners (later MGM release)
-Tons of other thrillers and erotic thrillers, many of which were never released on DVD/Bluray

I really like collecting the older home recorded stuff, the oldest I found recently was from 1981 (NFL game Broncos-Chargers) and found a huge lot of boxing and home recorded made for TV movies from 1979-1985, and all played great no joke! I swear the older blank tapes were built better than the crap that was made post 1990. I used to buy the TDK T160s in bulk in the early 2000s and my Panasonic deck would eat alot of them, but not the older stuff.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCV82 View Post
I buy about 50 VHS tapes on average a week (sell 1,000-1,200 a year online on Ebay and Amazon donate back others). Of course these include home recorded stuff as well as commercial releases.

Some stuff of note I found recently:

-48 Hours and Local Hero recorded off The Movie Channel around 1985 or so, even came with an original Scotch hard shell VHS protective case
-3:15, one of my favorite 1980s gang movies (original 1986 Media release, never released on DVD or Bluray)
-Scanners (later MGM release)
-Tons of other thrillers and erotic thrillers, many of which were never released on DVD/Bluray

I really like collecting the older home recorded stuff, the oldest I found recently was from 1981 (NFL game Broncos-Chargers) and found a huge lot of boxing and home recorded made for TV movies from 1979-1985, and all played great no joke! I swear the older blank tapes were built better than the crap that was made post 1990. I used to buy the TDK T160s in bulk in the early 2000s and my Panasonic deck would eat alot of them, but not the older stuff.
Older decks can eat newer tape and older tape can eat newer decks....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma