Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well then it's not blow-by. With the oil cap off there wasn't really any air coming out. The engine is still rather young to be having those kinds of problems unless someone's been abusing their maintenance. In yank speak it only has 155000 miles on the odometer.

Anyways I gave it some fuel stabilizer and antifreeze to make it survive the winter and then parked and disconnected the battery so it can survive on a solar charger to keep it topped-up.

Here's the interior before I yanked the center console out.

...and the rest of the car.

The goals this winter are to repair the 4WD as I indeed tried to use it before I parked it and it will not come out of 4WD and get the initial repairs on the audio done. The four speakers are toast and the installed Alpine has an eye searing red and blue theme going on. The console is too far carved up to reinstall the original radio so in goes a Sony MDX-C5970R and the rough-in connections for the rest of the upcoming components like the Motorola MDT, telephone (yes you heard that right), CB radio, satellite radio and trunk GPS unit for the MDT. Might also be wise to install an Immobilizer as the car will be decked with tech but the starter solenoid is in an awful place so I am wondering what else I could have physically disconnect and prevent the car from starting.
I also need to see what components of the Cruise Control are missing. I got parts but I'm starting to wonder what pieces are spares and which were removed but not reinstalled.
Come summer we should have the money to get new jackstands and start working on the underside and the upholstery which as you can see needs a lot of work.
Oh yeah, the Habitat for Humanity ReStore finally had something I needed for once....

Last edited by MIPS; 09-30-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your engine may simply need to breathe more. One of those cheap screen vent caps, try one on the opposing valve cover from the PCV valve, or use one in place of that valve which may be better.

Make sure that place on the carb that the pcv vents too has suction as someone may have messed with it.

Please note, I have never worked on one of these. Mostly Fords from 1950-92 and some pre-fuel injection Chevys.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
In the case of one of my friends, the damage was by inheritance...He bought one used manual performance package equipped Honda Civic with a clutch that had very little life left and a hacked in security system and other mods by the previous owners that eventually made him give up on that one and get another just like it from the same place. The second had the same clutch wear but the electrical was not messed up by previous owner mods.
There's a red flag the size of a Persian rug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
The four speakers are toast and the installed Alpine has an eye searing red and blue theme going on. The console is too far carved up to reinstall the original radio so in goes a Sony MDX-C5970R and the rough-in connections for the rest of the upcoming components like the Motorola MDT, telephone (yes you heard that right), CB radio, satellite radio and trunk GPS unit for the MDT.
Aftermarket stereos, blech. I think an unmolested console from a junker could be found without a whole lot of trouble.

How can a car phone be used without the AMPS network?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The junkyard Eagle I went through was already missing its console so I currently have no source for a replacement. a Minidisc deck at least seems way more novelty than a CD player anyways.

It's funny. The carphone is not an actual AMPS unit but a bluetooth device sold by Cartel until a few years ago. It looks and acts exactly like a carphone with a speakerphone (and supports the mute function in the aftermarket stereo) but has a bluetooth button that when pressed pairs with your cellphone so you don't have to pull it out of your pocket.

The problem is even on liquidation they are still about $250, so I can'y make an accompanying bag phone.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:53 PM
M is for Memory

I've been tempted to take a Bluetooth to landline adapter and install a rotary dial phone as the car phone in my Lincoln.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 10-01-2018, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tried that when I put a red telephone in a briefcase. The GE and Cobra bluetooth bridges I tried did not support pulse dialing.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:27 PM
M is for Memory

You probably got the wrong brand. I need to ask what some of my friends use I know two different folks that have no landline connection and use adapters to use their the wiring in their houses...And both have some rotary phones in their collection that they actively use.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm an auto tech for 38 years and seen it all and I also rebuilt many transmissions in the past so if that amc had any metal filings in there regardless, the converter must always be changed in a rebuild because metal trapped in the converter move on to the delicate valves in the valve body and can create havoc and burn the unit up. As for the c6 yes they are tough but the draw back with those units is the check balls in the valve body, they are rubber balls and they also have what they called hockey pucks and they are rubber as well and they literally disappear after awhile they just dissolve leaving the transmission with only 1st gear, drive, and reverse.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:38 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
so I am wondering what else I could have physically disconnect and prevent the car from starting.
Either the starter wire coming from the ignition switch, or the power wire going to the distributor. The starter wire is the usual pick for aftermarket alarm installs, it's right where you're already working. They put a relay in the middle of it, when energized by the alarm, it disconnects the starter wire. You don't want to interfere with any of the other wires from the ignition switch, because they generally carry a lot of current, too much for a little relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
I'm an auto tech for 38 years and seen it all and I also rebuilt many transmissions in the past so if that amc had any metal filings in there regardless, the converter must always be changed in a rebuild because metal trapped in the converter move on to the delicate valves in the valve body and can create havoc and burn the unit up. As for the c6 yes they are tough but the draw back with those units is the check balls in the valve body, they are rubber balls and they also have what they called hockey pucks and they are rubber as well and they literally disappear after awhile they just dissolve leaving the transmission with only 1st gear, drive, and reverse.
^ this. Also, is it a C6? I would've leaned more towards a torqueflite or some hydramatic. Meh.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes most were Chrysler trans but in a previous post someone mentioned a c6 as being a tough trans. 727 trans were good but they had the annoying converter leak down and the vehicle would not move unless you put it in neutral for about 30 seconds so the converter could fill then it was fine the rest of the day.
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2018, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was the poster i think and I was speaking of Ford C6's. What you said might happen but Ive never seen it, never had one that missed 2nd gear. i do know missing 2nd gear with an auto tranny would not stop me from driving it until it quit.

Ive never had a new vehicle and never had one with under 100K miles and drive them until they rust into 3 pieces and never lost 2nd gear. That does not mean you are wrong, but I think it must be rare.

Working in a shop you will see things like that though, and there were millions of C6 Fords made so I imagine you did get some of them. The only thing I personally remember people I knew doing to them was having shift kits installed as they can be sluggish.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
I was the poster i think and I was speaking of Ford C6's. What you said might happen but Ive never seen it, never had one that missed 2nd gear. i do know missing 2nd gear with an auto tranny would not stop me from driving it until it quit.

Ive never had a new vehicle and never had one with under 100K miles and drive them until they rust into 3 pieces and never lost 2nd gear. That does not mean you are wrong, but I think it must be rare.

Working in a shop you will see things like that though, and there were millions of C6 Fords made so I imagine you did get some of them. The only thing I personally remember people I knew doing to them was having shift kits installed as they can be sluggish.
well no doubt a shift kit would have eliminated the problem with the rubber check balls disintegrating but it happened more then you would think and transmission shops also said the same but the rubber balls could not be substituted with steel balls I'm not really sure why but a shift kit would have had the steel balls. So I guess you were a lucky one never to have this type of problem and I'm sure there were more c6 transmissions out there that were fine compared to the ones with a check ball problem , I'm sure it was widespread.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Im still lucky as Im still running 2 of them, LOL Now I suppose a week from now my main trucks C6 tranny will go to heck, LOL I did have one with a shift kit when I got it but the others not that I know of. They could have though as that was so common back in the day to add the shift kits regardless of the tranny.

I think GM powerglides made the tranny kits popular, and Im not a powerglide hater either as they had their place in history and were cheap to maintain. Ive had 2 and 1 of them still sits in the shed ready for action 30 years later, LOL
Old 10-03-2018, 05:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ahh the powerglide to think they used to pull really big campers, 2 speed no less.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Tried that when I put a red telephone in a briefcase. The GE and Cobra bluetooth bridges I tried did not support pulse dialing.
Here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Techno...X21G49BBT8EPD4

Been meaning to get one of those to power my WE rotary phones at home.
Audiokarma