Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy Purple "dot" .. what could it be?

I wasn't sure where best to post this so hopefully it's not off topic... I've been handed a beautiful condition Sony LCD projector with 2000 hrs on it, basically free of charge. It's the model number VPL-HS20. Not a scratch on it and very well taken care of by the previous owner. I've been testing it (before I get a proper screen) on a white cardboard sheet (ignore the folding mark). I have attached a few photos. Excuse the quality of my camera 'cause the actual picture from the projector is beautiful "cinema like" but it has an issue... See if you can spot a purple "dot" in the same place. The previous owner mentioned that he never had this problem before. I am hoping it's a simple fix like maybe cleaning something or replacing a filter etc.... I'd really appreciate your help with this. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (52.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (52.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (53.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (46.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:09 AM
The Resident Brony

Is there even a remote possibility there's a spec of dust on the lens?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 AM
M is for Memory

I wonder if it could be the projection bulb? I've seen some of those bulbs in non-projection applications develop a colored spot. Could probably check by installing the bulb rotated in the socket and see if the spot moves... while doing that if there's say a spec of purple confetti inside the light path you might find it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Resident Lunatic

If it were the bulb one would expect all three colors to be altered, assuming this uses separate RGB panels like most LCD projectors seem to. My guess is a spec of dust on the green panel... clean it and you should be back in business.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Looks like dirt in the green light path. Maybe not directly on the LCD panel, because it is not in focus. I think I would see if I could take the cover off and blow a little air in there.
Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you very much for all your replies. It indeed was mostly likely a speck of dust (big relief) 'cause the other day I turned on the projector again, started going through all the functions and I'll be damned but the "dot" disappeared, migrated to another part of the image and then, later on, completely vanished. It's fine now. I must have dislodged the dust particle while playing with the projector. I didn't have to open it up or anything. All's that I can say is that I'm truly relieved that it wasn't anything serious. And to think that a tiny piece of dust could do such a thing...