Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ion trap adjustment and placement

Still working on my first tube tv restoration. Next up is working on the picture tube assembly itself… to note, this entire tv and cabinet was FILTHY. I have yet to clean the assembly in question, so please ignore that portion…

I’m not seeing anywhere in the schematics for this model (Stewart Warner 9121A) listing the exact position of the ion trap for this model. Upon opening it up, I noticed someone in the past did some work on this, as there were some wrong tubes in the wrong sockets, and a few newer capacitors with the wrong specs. Which leads me to wonder if the ion trap is also incorrectly placed, as the picture tube itself is functional yet I am getting no picture.

Attached is a photo: although not pictured, I see it was previously glued to the tube itself. Also, from what I understand, the arrow is pointing in the opposite direction of the screen, which is incorrect. Can anyone confirm if this is true? And does anyone know if the position is correct if it is sitting at around 2 o’clock viewing from the back?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3792.jpeg (137.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Madeline12; 04-21-2024 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Usually with the ion traps (in my experience anyways) are to be adjusted by first rotating it left or right for the brightest picture and then moving it back and forth along the length of the neck of the tube for proper centering of the image. I'm assuming this is a round picture tube like the 12BP4?

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-21-2024 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Usually with the ion traps (in my experience anyways) are to be adjusted by first rotating it left or right for the brightest picture and then moving it back and forth along the length of the neck of the tube for proper centering of the image. I'm assuming this is a round picture tube like the 12BP4?
It’s a 16RP4 and sounds good, this is helpful. Any word about the arrow? I saw somewhere mentioning that if an ion trap possesses an arrow indicates it should face the screen, although they were discussing a different brand and model…
Old 04-21-2024, 01:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline12 View Post
It’s a 16RP4
OK, its a much bigger tube than the one that's in my Meck TV that I restored a few years back but still considered a round picture tube and the adjustment steps I mentioned would still apply to yours.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:06 AM
RCA 741PCS

Here's a video I made about adjusting the ion trap magnet and focus coil
https://youtu.be/3ChX_HjJ0xM?si=SCN1styHe2e-OqdC
Old 04-21-2024, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It’s a 16RP4 and sounds good, this is helpful. Any word about the arrow? I saw somewhere mentioning that if an ion trap possesses an arrow indicates it should face the screen, although they were discussing a different brand and model…
The Arrow I believe is supposed to face forward. my TV's ion trap magnet also had an arrow on it and mine had to face forward in order for it to function properly. Also banderson's video will be helpful as well.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
The Arrow I believe is supposed to face forward. my TV's ion trap magnet also had an arrow on it and mine had to face forward in order for it to function properly. Also banderson's video will be helpful as well.
Ok, sounds good. So it seems mine was installed backwards in this case, as the arrow is pointing towards the base of the tube away from the assembly. Thank you kindly!
Old 04-21-2024, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

The arrow should face forward (toward the phosphor).
Old 04-21-2024, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
The arrow should face forward (toward the phosphor).
Haha just responded to another comment a moment before yours, but highly appreciated.

Thank you everyone!
Old 04-21-2024, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Haha just responded to another comment a moment before yours, but highly appreciated.

Thank you everyone!
Audiokarma