Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Year of the first and last VHS video release?

Does anyone know exactly what year the very first movie was released on VHS and what year the very last movie was released on VHS? What were those movies?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Buffyman (1976)
Buffyman II The Long Awaited Sequel: (2005)

The real answer is a bit trickier to figure out.

Wikipedia says:
The first VCR to use VHS was the Victor HR-3300, and was introduced by the president of JVC at the Okura Hotel on September 9, 1976

Obviously this VCR had a movie to play, but as to what that was? Maybe some Japanese promotional video.

As for the last VHS release? That's also tricky to answer. "VHS" was a string of formats that evolved over the years. From what I can find Digital S is the most recent, created in 1995 and seeing use up to at least 2007.

Wikipedia says:
The last film to be released on the VHS format in the United States was Eragon in 2007

Then it says:
Additionally, all of the major Hollywood studios no longer issue releases on VHS. However, there have been a few exceptions. The House of the Devil was released on VHS in 2010 as an Amazon-exclusive deal, in keeping with the film's intent to mimic 1980s horror films.[53]Also, the horror film V/H/S/2 was released as a combo in North America that included a VHS tape in addition to a Blu-ray and a DVD copy on September 24, 2013

Last edited by MRX37; 11-10-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think the VHS format will never die.Its like vinyl.

In 30 or more years from now .The tapes will still play .The DVDs and other digital media will come corrupt and they wont play no more.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is there still a dubbing plant that can crank out VHS in Amazon numbers?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I graduated college in 1979, moved home, & later, moved to Knoxville, TN. I bought my 1st VHS machine-A Panasonic PV-1100 about June, & my dad ponied up for a copy of "Patton". I stuck w/VHS til the bitter end-I bought a Super VHS machine several yrs back, but never really checked out the "Super" part of it.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

First pre-recorded video cassettes on VHS were from Magnetic Video (who also offered Beta format). Back in 1977. Usually cost between $60-$100 a copy. When blank cassettes were $23 a pop. Which begat the video rental industry.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:29 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I have several Magnetic Video releases

The last movie to be released on VHS now is the movie "V/H/S" in 2012..

www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B9LNBWS

Ah man!!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I think the VHS format will never die.Its like vinyl.

In 30 or more years from now .The tapes will still play .The DVDs and other digital media will come corrupt and they wont play no more.
I can't wait to see that. I'll laugh. The best formats always come back.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:55 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I graduated college in 1979, moved home, & later, moved to Knoxville, TN. I bought my 1st VHS machine-A Panasonic PV-1100 about June, & my dad ponied up for a copy of "Patton". I stuck w/VHS til the bitter end-I bought a Super VHS machine several yrs back, but never really checked out the "Super" part of it.
If it was/is a s-vhs-ET deck and not just S-VHS, then it can record S-VHS quality on normal NON-s-vhs tapes.....I have a few like that, and got them a few years before good DVD-R and DVR machines started appearing at the thrifts. I recorded one test program on a tape in normal and in S-VHS-ET mode for a couple minutes a piece and as soon as I played back the A/B test I shelved my old normal VHS decks, and started recording almost everything on that ONE S-VHS-ET machine (bought more when I could).

Once I got a DVD recorder it was a more gradual transition.....I archived in both formats for awhile since both had their drawbacks (I HATE line dropouts with VHS, and I also HATE compression artifacts in DVD).....The turning point came when our cable company did something in their system back end that significantly increased the digital artifacts entering out analog cable....When that happened the BROADCAST artifacts became worse and more common than the artifacts DVD introduced. At that point I became stuck with compression artifacts no matter what so why live with tape line drop out too.....I went DVD only and have not looked back (except in rare cases where I ran out of disk space at bad times, since tape will always occupy rack space, even if only to play back).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2015, 07:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

I should have asked what last MAJOR hollywood movie. This is what i was looking for:

The last major Hollywood movie to be released on VHS was "A History of Violence" in 2006. By that point major retailers such as Best Buy and Wal-Mart were already well on their way to evicting all the VHS tapes from their shelves so the valuable real estate could go to the sleeker and smaller DVDs and, in more recent seasons, the latest upstart, Blu-ray discs. Kugler ended up buying back as much VHS inventory as he could from retailers, distributors and studios; he then sold more than 4 million VHS videotapes over the last two years.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Once I got a DVD recorder it was a more gradual transition.....I archived in both formats for awhile since both had their drawbacks (I HATE line dropouts with VHS, and I also HATE compression artifacts in DVD).....The turning point came when our cable company did something in their system back end that significantly increased the digital artifacts entering out analog cable....When that happened the BROADCAST artifacts became worse and more common than the artifacts DVD introduced. At that point I became stuck with compression artifacts no matter what so why live with tape line drop out too.....I went DVD only and have not looked back (except in rare cases where I ran out of disk space at bad times, since tape will always occupy rack space, even if only to play back).
You know I haven't had much of an issue with digital artifacts in DVD's, provided the transfer is of good quality.

Now if the transfer is shitty, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

High bitrate video stored on a memory card beats DVD and Blu ray hands down however.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:52 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
You know I haven't had much of an issue with digital artifacts in DVD's, provided the transfer is of good quality.

Now if the transfer is shitty, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

High bitrate video stored on a memory card beats DVD and Blu ray hands down however.
Most artifacts from the recording process are not very noticeable or bad (as stated cable started sending much worse artifacts down the pipe to us than what DVD adds to the process), but I'm a perfectionist, and dislike even the mildest digital artifacts......If it were up to me all AV would be 100% analog.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-13-2015, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with the memory stick playback. I have a Micca stick adaptor to playback to HDMI to my HD set. I recorded a bunch of hours of Dark Shadows off air with a WinTV stick to a HD file. The files were huge in a .ts format. I converted them to AVI to get the file size down. Garbage. I then xfrd the originals to a bigger stick and the playback was as broadcast.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Funny how this turned into a dvd thread......Oh well.
Audiokarma