Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Emerson Radio Model 422

I posted a few weeks ago about an old GE TV I found in the attic of my new apartment and while digging around some more up there I found a cool old radio. I plugged it in and it worked. Its a little dirty and the back is slightly cracked.

I was wondering if there was any way to date it? Its an Emerson Model 422 but the last part of the serial # is missing. All I can make out is FP-4927. The sticker is worn away but it seems like it might be a 3 after the 7. Is there anywhere else inside where the serial # would be stamped and can anyone give me anymore info about the radio? I searched on google but all I got were sites where I can buy the manual or circuit diagrams.

Any info would help. I guess I am just going to clean it up and enjoy listening to it.

Last edited by jwharris; 09-30-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Adding a photo
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

The radio appears to be from 1941.

There is a radio that uses the same chassis, but is in a plastic or Bakelite case (the 421). I have enclosed the schematics as attachments.

The zipped file is clearer than the murky PDF, but has less info as it is only the schematic with a partial parts list.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 41_Emerson_FP422.zip (111.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf Emerson FP-422.pdf (54.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great that you found that radio in such good shape. Before using it, though, you should probably replace the line cord, the electrolytic capacitors, and all of the paper capacitors under the chassis. You're probably looking at less than $12 worth of parts. Even though it's working now one of those caps could short and burn up.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just love the looks of those little table radios from that era. I would have guessed 1940 plus or minus a couple years, so GuyIncognito's 1941 sounds right.

Let me second Reece's recommendation. The capacitors in that set are living on borrowed time, and depending on which one fails, could cause a shock or fire hazard. As the old Gold Medal Flour ads used to say, "Eventually, why not now?"
Paul
Old 09-30-2010, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for all the help guys! I will definitely have to give it some love now. I have only turned it on once since I found it so I will get to replacing the parts so I can continue to enjoy it.
Audiokarma