Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 PM
novice collector

Grunow Teledial

Hello all, I'm new here and hoping to learn a little about a purchase I just made.
It's a Grunow Teledial and from what I can find on the internet, I believe it's a 1937 "Shirley Temple" model.
I haven't tried to plug it in and the seller said he never did either, but I sprung for the $100 asking price and took it home. I'm hoping it's not going to cost too mush to fix up and get working, as it looks gorgeous with the beautiful woodwork on the rounded cabinet. The cloth over the speaker is ripped, but other than that, I'm not sure what it will need. I'm taking it to a professional antique radio restorer next Monday to see what he says about the capacitors, etc.
I sure hope it's worth fixing up, but I wouldn't mind holding onto it even if it's not worth much, as I appreciate the old time craftsmanship that went in to it.
If anyone can give me any helpful tips or other info, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Which model is it? They are nice radios. I've been looking for a nice one for a long time. Passed on a couple of ones that just needed too much. If you have someone restore the chassis, it may be difficult to get your money out of it but if it's a "keeper", that hardly matters, right.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 AM
novice collector

I believe it's a 1291.

The date is off on my camera, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grunow 1291 radio.jpg (121.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's the one I like. Great set. It will be beautiful once it's all fixed up.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
novice collector

Thanks.
Audiokarma
Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Hello Grunow,

That's a very nice radio. Well worth the $100 you paid in my opinion. The large chassis is a good performer. The large Teledial is a desirable feature. Makes the set very attacrtive. I have never owned one of these but have seen many of them around. Some people do call it a Shirley Temple radio beacuse of the advertisement for it with Shirley standing next to it, back in that time.

I think it is very wise for you to take it to someone who can help you with repairs if you aren't capable of fixing it yourself. Once restored properly,it will be a great radio. One note, and that is that it's more important that you like the radio, and want it working, than what the world says it's worth. The only one you have to please is yourself. Let us know how it works out for you!

Gilbert

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 AM
novice collector

Thanks Gilbert.
Well, the radio goes into the shop in a few hours. I'm going to let him remove the chassis and I'll bring the cabinet home. Once he tells me some good news (like it won't cost a fortune to get it going), I'm making plans for a restoration on the wood.