Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:25 PM
Hobbyist

G.E ac/dc in need of a unusual cord

I was given this 9" color but it has no electrical cord. The previous owner had bought it for a vintage camper that he was going to remodel, but never did. So this has been sitting in a camper since '90.

What is this type of cord called?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220202_201514.jpg (90.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20220202_201445.jpg (62.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20220202_201420.jpg (90.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20220202_201352.jpg (106.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-03-2022, 01:25 AM
Hobbyist

I pulled the back, found the 125v lines. The chassis is "stuck" and won't pull out, so I cant trace the wires. The wires are brown and the other blue, any idea which is positive and which negative?

It's a BPC that I don't want but feel the need to at least try and get it going as its essentially a brand new tv.

Im debating just flipping a coin and soldering in a cord, see if that wont make this work.

Last edited by Airedale; 02-03-2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you're positive you've identified the 125V AC leads, polarity is irrelevent (as far as getting the set working), even tho the original may or may not have been a polarized cord.

Last edited by old_coot88; 02-03-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

The AC connections are usually the two that are spaced farthest apart. There is no "negative or positive" for them. If the DC connections are the brown and blue wires, check which one goes to ground (tuner housing?) with the switch in the off position, that will be the 12 volt negative connector.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Set is a Thompson / RCA /GE
In Sams only the RCA numbers show.
RCA's are in folder 2597 & 2721
2 GE's listed but dont go the photo copy route & dont order from Sams !
If someone has it it will show OEM part numbers for all 3 cords and the pin
out. Sry I looked & dont have either one.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 02-03-2022, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 9" Zenith Color TV from 1986 and it has a very similar power cord setup mine thankfully came with the AC Power Cord (didn't have the Car Adaptor cord, but I have seen them available on ebay.)

My Zenith TV works like Brand New (it was a low hours set that I think may have only been used in a camper) I picked it up at the Salvation Army several years ago before they stopped taking TVs.

Your TV appears to be possibly 1980s vintage.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
I pulled the back, found the 125v lines. The chassis is "stuck" and won't pull out, so I cant trace the wires. The wires are brown and the other blue, any idea which is positive and which negative?

It's a BPC that I don't want but feel the need to at least try and get it going as its essentially a brand new tv.

Im debating just flipping a coin and soldering in a cord, see if that wont make this work.
The prongs further apart are the AC prongs. The neutral prong is the closest to the curved side. The hot is the prong left of it.
That's the way the original cord is made.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:28 PM
Hobbyist

Thanks I did a quick wiring job. Its outputting a picture, nice and strong.

Its pretty much the epitome of a BPC, the boards have pop rivets that lock them in place. Though the insides are perfectly clean, this thing really did sit in a camper for 30+ years.

I'll rewire it nicely tonight. A friend wanted a tiny color tv for his old video game consoles, so its got a new home and I don't have to trash it with the rest of the BPC sets that aren't working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220203_160334.jpg (33.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Hobbyist

Properly soldered on a cord. The case was tough to get back on, the bottom motherboard moves (the ones on the side are pop riveted on). Finally got it together, plugged it in, the picture has a massive red tint now....

I'll open this back up tomorrow, see if I can figure out WHY this is happening, if not I'll try to fix the color with the tuners.

If this doesn't get fixed tomorrow I'll scrap it for parts.

EDIT- can't sleep, messed with the color controls, it could only be made slightly better. I can't find what has been bumped/damaged/whatever. I'm just mad now and need to sleep on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220203_215804.jpg (75.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Airedale; 02-04-2022 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:17 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

You need to take some time and just attack this step by step.
The results so far show good promise for a fine result.

Don't get frustrated by expecting every step to miraculously fix all the problems. It's just a TV, after all, but it will be satisfying to get it fully working.

The red faces could be an issue of CRT G2 settings or something in the color section hue/tint control, you just need to go at it piece by piece.

To check the G2's quickly, turn down the color for a black and white pic, then look for R, G, and/or B controls on the back. Adjust slowly until the picture is pure black and white without any color. If that works, then try to adjust the color and tint(hue) controls for proper skin tones.
Audiokarma