Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2023, 02:01 PM
I love old stuff

I was fascinated by furniture looking sets like this one.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrllVl90 View Post

As for the film cap that JohnCT mentioned isn't bulged or anything, but I'll keep a lookout for one on ebay, who knows. I did find a nos PTC thermistor for the degaussing circuit.
I wouldn't. Those caps pretty much are good or bad. If the retrace cap was causing low HV and filament, your horiz sweep would also be too wide. Now, being a raster scanned analog TV, these tended to be a bit overscanned anyway so customers didn't complain about shrinkage.

John
Old 02-25-2023, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
I was fascinated by furniture looking sets like this one.
Yeah, man. I think tvs like this are super cool. Mine is almost blemish free too. Except my dumbass set a bottle of acetone on it a year or two ago and have a spot where the wood/design is screwed up.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
I wouldn't. Those caps pretty much are good or bad. If the retrace cap was causing low HV and filament, your horiz sweep would also be too wide. Now, being a raster scanned analog TV, these tended to be a bit overscanned anyway so customers didn't complain about shrinkage.

John
Okay. I gotta be honest, as is I'm pretty happy with it. It is a big improvement over how it was before.

Now that I've said that, I know it's old and tired, and with light usage, if I can get a couple years out of this tube I'll be pretty happy. If I found a 26" CRT, would it be feasible to swap the internals into this cabinet? And I mean tube, chassis, and whatever else makes the donor tv operate.

I'm not sure if the curvature of screens changed a whole lot over the years. I know Sony Trinitrons were cylindrical, and that eventually there were flat screen crts.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrllVl90 View Post
If I found a 26" CRT, would it be feasible to swap the internals into this cabinet? And I mean tube, chassis, and whatever else makes the donor tv operate.
If your TV is a 25", a 26" won't match the original mask as the 26" was a bit more square and flatter IIRC. Besides the fit, the mounting flanges wouldn't fit the original mask, so you'd have to swap the mask at the same time which is possible with a bit of cabinet fabrication.

Back in the 80s-90s, we used to do custom cabinet swaps. We'd take a customer's 60s or 70s console and gut them, then we'd buy brand new wood table model Zenith consoles and break up the new cabinets to swap out the guts, and that included the entire front mask which was usually held in place by heavy staples nailed into the wood cabinet. Once the Zenith mask was free from the donor and fitted to the original cabinet, we'd remount the new Zenith tube and chassis. There was a frame shop next door to us and they would cut and fit any trim wood to finish the mask to cabinet clearances if required. These looked absolutely factory when done and we got top bucks to do this.

There are a ton of these Philips consoles ( Sylvania, Philco, and Magnavox) floating around for free on FB Marketplace. There's an excellent chance you can find one with a perfect tube for zip, even if it's a plastic table model with the same tube.

John
Audiokarma
Old 02-25-2023, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
If your TV is a 25", a 26" won't match the original mask as the 26" was a bit more square and flatter IIRC. Besides the fit, the mounting flanges wouldn't fit the original mask, so you'd have to swap the mask at the same time which is possible with a bit of cabinet fabrication.

Back in the 80s-90s, we used to do custom cabinet swaps. We'd take a customer's 60s or 70s console and gut them, then we'd buy brand new wood table model Zenith consoles and break up the new cabinets to swap out the guts, and that included the entire front mask which was usually held in place by heavy staples nailed into the wood cabinet. Once the Zenith mask was free from the donor and fitted to the original cabinet, we'd remount the new Zenith tube and chassis. There was a frame shop next door to us and they would cut and fit any trim wood to finish the mask to cabinet clearances if required. These looked absolutely factory when done and we got top bucks to do this.

There are a ton of these Philips consoles ( Sylvania, Philco, and Magnavox) floating around for free on FB Marketplace. There's an excellent chance you can find one with a perfect tube for zip, even if it's a plastic table model with the same tube.

John
Hey thanks, John. I'll keep my eye out.

At the very least my model number indicates a 26", but maybe the tube is a more common size crammed in, I'm not sure how to determine that. Either way I'll keep my eyes open for a possible donor.

And also thank you for all your insight, it was very helpful, and I learned a lot.

Sean
Old 02-26-2023, 03:22 PM
jbattles

one way to tell the size if the tube number starts a63 that's a 25" a66 is a 26" a68 is a 27".
Old 02-26-2023, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbattles View Post
one way to tell the size if the tube number starts a63 that's a 25" a66 is a 26" a68 is a 27".
A rad. I looked through the pictures that I had taken, and one does show a66 on the back.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2023, 03:46 PM
jbattles

OK that's a 26"