Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
My Sams collection was the regional "library" of Sams. My dad, who had a shop, loaned out his older Sams to other shops and some individuals. It appears it was loaned out and not returned - 90% of the borrowers are now dead, so there's no recouping the missing stuff. Of consolation, I have two Sams 207 sets, and lots of other dupes.
Ah, I see. well I have a small Sams collection myself but it only covers a very small variety between 1946-1959 and that's about it I don't even remember all of the volumes it has in it without looking through it but I think no. 333 and 217 and 290, are just a few of the ones I have, they for some reason got only a select few volumes over the course of 13 years they didn't get all of them for some reason. I inherited mine from a flea market friend who got them from an estate sale and knew I liked monkeying around with old radios so he just gave them to me. :-)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would clip the blown-up cap out and toss it.
Its original purpose was (ostensibly) to reduce any RF hash coming in via the power line.
But today with the maelstrom of broadband hash already in the air, any noise on the power line would pale to insignifigance.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
I would clip the blown-up cap out and toss it.
Its original purpose was (ostensibly) to reduce any RF hash coming in via the power line.
But today with the maelstrom of broadband hash already in the air, any noise on the power line would pale to insignifigance.
Ok, so that would basically mean that without that capacitor this radio would them be a 1 capacitor equipped radios (not including the filter caps) which is kind of interesting because that's the first time I've ever come across a radio with so few capacitors in it.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Ok, so that would basically mean that without that capacitor this radio would them be a 1 capacitor equipped radios (not including the filter caps) which is kind of interesting because that's the first time I've ever come across a radio with so few capacitors in it.
Take a close look at the schematic PDF posted in post # 13... I suspect that your radio has a similar "couplate circuit" that contains several more capacitors and some resistors between the 12AV6 and the 50C5 (the dotted rectangle between the two tubes).

jr
Old 07-17-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Take a close look at the schematic PDF posted in post # 13... I suspect that your radio has a similar "couplate circuit" that contains several more capacitors and some resistors between the 12AV6 and the 50C5 (the dotted rectangle between the two tubes).

jr
Yeah, it has a ceramic disc capacitor in the circuit besides those two paper caps but the ceramic cap isn't going to be bad and besides I don't count ceramic disc capacitors when I'm referring to paper capacitors in these old radios.
Audiokarma
Old 07-17-2015, 11:43 PM
M is for Memory

Zenith made some later AA5 AM sets that had only ceramic caps...Only thing to go wrong on those aside from tubes is the lytic pair.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Zenith made some later AA5 AM sets that had only ceramic caps...Only thing to go wrong on those aside from tubes is the lytic pair.
Yeah and on this one the electrolytics are still good surprisingly enough.

I actually took the liberty to taking OldCoot's advice and just snipping out the bumblebee cap and putting the radio back together and the radio still works fine but there is lots of RF Interference though that I noticed wasn't there before I took the blown Bumblebee Cap out (althouth the station I checked it with has a tendancy to get a little staticy in the evening so maybe that's what I was hearing.)

Last edited by Captainclock; 07-18-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
And I replied:
Quote:
To which you replied:
Quote:
Yeah, it has a ceramic disc capacitor in the circuit besides those two paper caps but the ceramic cap isn't going to be bad and besides I don't count ceramic disc capacitors when I'm referring to paper capacitors in these old radios.
No matter how you might *choose* to define it, the fact remains that the radio does, in fact have more than one capacitor.

jr
Old 07-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
And I replied:

To which you replied:

No matter how you might *choose* to define it, the fact remains that the radio does, in fact have more than one capacitor.

jr
OK so then its a 2 capacitor radio then instead of a 3 capacitor radio (not counting the electrolytics), if that pleases the masses.
That's still the fewest capacitors I've seen in an AA5 circuit before.