Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Exactly my thought when I saw that receipt . One bad tube and a missing dial pointer , sure . ALL the tubes in the set plus a couple other parts on top of that besides the dial pointer ? methinks the poor customer got , well , , Hosed .
That radio is rather hard to get apart. How the dial pointer got lost or broken is any ones guess. Whether the tubes were replaced is another issue and that model doesn't use a 1U4. It is a sub, but not the proper tube.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
That radio is rather hard to get apart. How the dial pointer got lost or broken is any ones guess. Whether the tubes were replaced is another issue and that model doesn't use a 1U4. It is a sub, but not the proper tube.
Diesel , are you looking at the Monitor radio model M-510 ? Because the rider's shows it using a 1U4 for an IF amp , and this radio does indeed use a 1U4 in that position . I see that a 2.2meg is used as control grid bias for the 3Q4 and see a 1/4 watt in that position , but I still am looking for a 2.2 meg 2 watt in the schematic (In the pictures I posted in my last post you can see the 2.2 meg 2 wat that they installed , but there is only one 2.2 meg 1/4 watt listed on the schematic and it is present between the 3Q4's control grid and ground)

Last edited by init4fun; 02-23-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Diesel , are you looking at the Monitor radio model M-510 ? Because the rider's shows it using a 1U4 for an IF amp , and this radio does indeed use a 1U4 in that position . I see that a 2.2meg is used as control grid bias for the 3Q4 and see a 1/4 watt in that position , but I still am looking for a 2.2 meg 2 watt in the schematic .
I'm well aware that a 1U4 is used as an IF amplifier in many battery radios, but not this particular model. I failed to see a 2.2meg earlier, but naturally not a 2 watt resistor.
The radio I'm referring to is an RCA 66BX. It's kind of hard to read the writing on the invoice regarding the make.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm well aware that a 1U4 is used as an IF amplifier in many battery radios, but not this particular model. I failed to see a 2.2meg earlier, but naturally not a 2 watt resistor.
The radio I'm referring to is an RCA 66BX. It's kind of hard to read the writing on the invoice regarding the make.
There was nothing on the invoice referring to the model of the radio , so I'm curious as to where you got RCA 66BX as the model ? The radio in question is "Monitor radio model M-510" and I posted pictures of it back in post #15 . Anyway , I'm not having an easy time posting up the schematic for it , but it's on Nostalgia air if anyone wants to have a look .
Old 02-23-2018, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I didn't see your entry about the Monitor. Then, I looked at the invoice and it does say Monitor.
Spending that kind of money on the el-cheapo make was insane.
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2018, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I didn't see your entry about the Monitor. Then, I looked at the invoice and it does say Monitor.
Spending that kind of money on the el-cheapo make was insane.

The shop never filled in the make or model info , the "model no." line having been left blank . In the "complaint" line was written "monitor portable radio" so I can see where it would be easy to mistake actually which model radio was being serviced . And yes , that was a crazy amount to spend on such a cheaply made set .

Hopefully sometime today I'll get the time to test the tubes that were replaced and taped into the battery compartment to see just how may of them are "shorted" . I suspect that outside of the gassy 3Q4 they'll all test fine (The tubes the shop installed are all still working , the radio receives WBZ AM 1030 fine) .
Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

battery tubes have fragile filaments, i could see them shorting if the set were dropped, for example
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

And the answer is , , , NO , the customer DIDN'T get hosed !

It takes an honest man to admit he was wrong , and being honest I'm gonna admit right here and now , my suspicion of the customer getting ripped off , based on how could all 4 tubes go bad all at once , was wrong .

Remember the Happy Days episode where Fonzie just couldn't admit he was wrong ? Mrs. Cunningham kept badgering him to fess up and admit he was wrong and he just couldn't do it , every time he tried to say the word "wrong" he'd stumble and mumble and do everything but say the word . Well not me , not here , my ego ain't so fragile as to admit my wrong notion about the tubes .

So , as you've likely already guessed , yes indeed I did test the tubes taped into the back of the radio and just as the receipt says , one is bad (the gassy 3Q4 that's visually obvious from the cracked glass and white dusty getter) and the other three show up shorted on my tester . In the exact same test , the working tubes in the radio test with no shorts , and the tubes that test shorted do not work in the radio . All three that lit the short light also show grid emission , and no normal cathode emission when tested for that .

So in the end the customer got exactly what they paid for , A properly repaired cheap radio that likely didn't cost all that much more than the repairs did when it was bought new .

PS Olorin67 may well have provided the answer , dropping the radio darned well could have damaged all the tubes at once .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad tube.jpg (94.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by init4fun; 02-25-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It takes an honest man to admit he was wrong , and being honest I'm gonna admit right here and now , my suspicion of the customer getting ripped off , based on how could all 4 tubes go bad all at once , was wrong .

Remember the Happy Days episode where Fonzie just couldn't admit he was wrong ? Mrs. Cunningham kept badgering him to fess up and admit he was wrong and he just couldn't do it , every time he tried to say the word "wrong" he'd stumble and mumble and do everything but say the word . Well not me , not here , my ego ain't so fragile as to admit my wrong notion about the tubes .

So , as you've likely already guessed , yes indeed I did test the tubes taped into the back of the radio and just as the receipt says , one is bad (the gassy 3Q4 that's visually obvious from the cracked glass and white dusty getter) and the other three show up shorted on my tester . In the exact same test , the working tubes in the radio test with no shorts , and the tubes that test shorted do not work in the radio . All three that lit the short light also show grid emission , and no normal cathode emission when tested for that .

So in the end the customer got exactly what they paid for , A properly repaired cheap radio that likely didn't cost all that much more than the repairs did when it was bought new .

PS Olorin67 may well have provided the answer , dropping the radio darned well could have damaged all the tubes at once .
I wonder if the gal asked for an estimate and then OKed the repair.
Monitor Equipment sold other household appliances. They sold a crazy apartment type small wash machine that had a hand crank wringer on it. I saw it years ago in a thrift shop.
There's a Monitor radio in Riders, that is a rebadged Crosley.
I could've been a product sold door-to-door.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember that washing machine , and yes your right I've seen other "Monitor" branded small appliances over the years as well . It's funny , trying to think of the reason someone would pay so much to fix such a cheap radio , did the radio have sentimental meaning to the customer or perhaps the customer had borrowed it from a friend , dropped it as Olorin67 wisely speculated , and was obligated to have it fixed so it could be given back to whomever it was borrowed from in working condition . So many possibilities .
Audiokarma