Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:56 AM
AK Member

This worth $75???

I was at a garage sale Saturday and I asked if they had any stereo equipment, and the lady said she had an antique radio. Seems they are moving and don't want to have to move it. She said it worked after her husband put a tube in it, but now it doesn't. I was thinking of maybe offering $50.00 but not sure if it is worth anything, maybe someone here can tell me?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:58 AM
AK Member

Oh...it looks very similar to that one, probably not exact, but pretty close. Big floor model with about 6 buttons per side and one larger knob in the center. It had buttons for Treble, Alto, Bass on it. I didn't see any FM band, but there looked like shortwave, parts of the dial were marked "air, ship, international" if I remember correctly.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Audiophool

Prewar Zenith consoles are about the only ones anyone will pay anything for, and this sure sounds like one. The REALLY desirable ones are the high tube count models, 12 tubes and up. Think thousands in that case. Most of the black dial ones are in the hundreds and up, depending on model. I'd snag it and ask questions later! The 1939 models and after are less desired, and a pain to work on, as they are wired with rubber insulation which turned brittle and crumbled away YEARS ago... will need COMPLETE rewiring. Still probaly worth it...

The model number is usually stamped on the top edge at the back, though if not, there's usually a chassis number that will narrow it down to a few models. First part of model number is number of tubes. Second is a letter (S: shortwave, H: FM, D: AM only, R: Record player etc.) Next digit is year: 1: 1937, 2: 1938, etc. Last two digits are model, usually the higher ones were more expensive originally.

So 7S232 is 7 tube, shortwave, 1938, table model.

Ask the Zenith Oracle if you get a model, chassis, or serial number: http://www.oldradios.com/reference/zenith.htm
Old 06-20-2004, 03:40 PM
AK Member

Thanks Tom, I'll try to get back over there and see if I can get a model # off of it. The longer I wait the better price I'll get, but it could end up sold. I know very little about these old Zenith floor standing radio's. It did look rather cool though. While I'm there I'll try to get a look at the condition of the innards. I did notice the "magic eye" in the middle of the dial. Probably a common feature then.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:54 PM
lynnm

In non-working condition that unit ( If the pic accurately represents the cosmetics ) is well worth the asking price. The fix will likely be inexpensive.

Nice looking piece.
Audiokarma
Old 06-20-2004, 05:13 PM
lynnm

Styling is late 30s - immediate postwar (1945-48). Trust me it is something of a rarity!Sales of luxury items were somewhat depressed for at least a couple of years after the end of the war simply because returning soldiers had ( as usual ) dick all to spend while trying to support their families ..............

WWII brought consumer product manufacture to a sudden stop in the era of 1938/39-1941, (depending on the country), and most manufacturers needed a couple of years at war's end to introduce "modern designs" and had therefore made and sold equipment based on late 30s designs.

The above said.......That is one fine looking radio!
Old 06-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

TAKE IT !! TAKE IT !! TAKE IT !! Unless it has a hornet's nest in it bigger'n your head, that is-in which case, spray them & then TAKE IT !!!-Sandy G.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one of these, picked it up at the flea market last year for $35. I consider that a steal, BUT, mine needs refinishing-this one looks 100 times better-not sure if I'll ever have the talent to get mine looking that good. For 50 bucks I don't think I could pull myself away from it.

(it was real hard to find the model # on mine, it is lightly stamped on the rear of the cabinet.)
Old 06-21-2004, 12:45 AM
AK Member

I took that picture off another website, it was the closest representation I could find of it, there is one small piece of laminate missing from the corner, and the speaker grill cloth is a little worn, but overall it was in pretty good condition, physically. I wish it was working to hear it, but then I bet they wouldn't be asking only $75.00 for it.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

$75.00 sounds pretty fair. Even if it does work, I would replace the capacitors and check the wiring, for reliabilty and safety.
Audiokarma