Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kutztown finds

Got there at 8am. Went thru the whole place. Saw a zenith I was interested in. Negotiated with the guy and got it . I think it's a 5-S-127. All original.
I've been looking for a black face zenith for awhile. Paid a little too much for my taste, but knew it would not last long. I did not see another one like it there. Going back tomorrow to see what else I can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150508_091859.jpg (41.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found this nice GE radio at a Goodwill in indy recently. It has a 6L6 amp !! Cold chassis and an 8" coil-type speaker. Not in bad shape--and CERTAINLY worth $14.00 plus gas money to go get it !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ge -E-81 radio.JPG (24.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Ge -E-81 radio.--chassis JPG.JPG (28.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Found this nice GE radio at a Goodwill in indy recently. It has a 6L6 amp !! Cold chassis and an 8" coil-type speaker. Not in bad shape--and CERTAINLY worth $14.00 plus gas money to go get it !!
What model is it?
Did someone put a 6L6 instead of a 6F6 or so?
Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

A GE E_81

No--it is SUPPOSED to use a 6L6 amp tube. It is in riders 7 I think.
It also looks like someone has replaced the caps with newer ones underneath--the pix shows the pair of them missing along with the rect. tube. Hope that big power tranny is ok...

I have NOT picked it up yet. Was doing so today--and got in a traffic jam which messed things up for me BUT. I AM getting it Monday--i want it before my radio club Tuesday night for "show and tell".
Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just pulled this chassis out of the zenith. Looks like it was never touched. Riders show 2 lytics c16 16mfd c19 12mfd. On mine, c19 is stamped 40mfd So what value do I replace it with?
Audiokarma
Old 05-08-2015, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not totally sure I would want to replace a 16Mf with a 40 MF on a vintage radio. More like a 22Mf one. Perhaps a 40MF might be ok--but then again...it might stress the rect tube. For the 12Mf one--use 22MF one.

Just make SURE--you do not go below the B= voltage--even WITHOUT a load. But do not go too much ABOVE the rating either. For example. If it is a 16/250...do NOT put in a 16/450. a 350 would be ok. It is hard to explain--but if the voltage is too LOW...the cap will "deform" and rapidly get high ESR. I have SEEN this before.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yea it just struck me weird that riders said it's suppose to be a 12mfd and the actual one in it is a 40mfd. And there is no evidence it was ever changed.
I just might hook up my heath cap tester and see what that comes up with...although I got a feeling it's most likely dead.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was at Kutztown for about an hour Friday, got there about 8:30. Lots and lots of interesting stuff, as usual. I looked in particular at an RCA and a Stewart Warner console but passed on both for various reasons. Getting picky in my old age.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I was at Kutztown for about an hour Friday, got there about 8:30. Lots and lots of interesting stuff, as usual. I looked in particular at an RCA and a Stewart Warner console but passed on both for various reasons. Getting picky in my old age.
I was kinda trying to keep a eye out for you, but missed you. Friday was cathedral day. Saw so many of them.
Went back today, and what a disappointment today was. Alot of venders were gone, and alot were packing up early. I bought some caps and on the way out, I grabbed a nice norelco tabletop in Bakelite for 20 bucks.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:40 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Oh, hey! I just noticed your location tag. Hello from over in Myerstown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stusnyder View Post
Went back today, and what a disappointment today was. Alot of venders were gone, and alot were packing up early. I bought some caps and on the way out, I grabbed a nice norelco tabletop in Bakelite for 20 bucks.
You should have stuck around, the club table had a load of cool stuff at it still when dollar time began. Even when it became "Distributed Garbage Removal Time! Please, just take it away!" there were still useful things to be had, both small and large. I mostly loaded up on the small freebies this time around, on top of the $24 worth of dollar time purchases I had already schlepped over to the car...

Today could have been worse. It didn't rain, it wasn't unbearably humid, and the temperature was nice up until about 90 minutes before the dealer raffle drawing.

I'll post a more comprehensive list with photos later on, but I came home with two medium tube caddies; one Sylvania in "fair" aesthetic condition, solid mechanical condition, and one Zenith in very good condition all around. In the same theme I picked up a Zenith serviceman's caddy (Designed for the solid state era inside, by the looks of things.) in excellent condition. Finally found an AM/FM Bakelite cabinet radio in straight forward restoration condition, which also happens to be Zenith, and then I took pity on the B&W Zenith portable (1981 vintage) that was still at the club table. Zenith turned out to be my theme today. I also grabbed another Riders TV manual, Volume 8 this time,(If I get one volume every Kutztown, assuming no duplicates I'll have more than half of a complete set by 2020 I think.) and one of the "3 neons and a meter" style B&K CRT testers in unknown internal condition. I'll dig that out tomorrow and figure out if its worth overhauling or not. (Dollar Time score.)
Audiokarma
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Were there many TVs at the meet?
Old 05-09-2015, 11:50 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Were there many TVs at the meet?
I saw no less than 10 pilot TVs, a guy who had a Siesta and a Princess both with known working CRTs, and between the two you could have one very good condition visually, and one "acceptable but battle-worn" visual condition. A few bug-eyes and portholes several space-command sets, some motorola electrostatics. Didn't see any color roundies, but then again there may have been some Thursday or Friday.

Anybody know what happened to the very large, very heavy, all metal cabinet RCA that I spotted perched on the dumpster out by the front lot around 12:30 on Saturday?

Edit: TV Parts everywhere, yokes, vert-block-osc xformers, brighteners, a few flybacks, etc.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I left about 1:30, and that rca was still sitting on the dumpster.
At that time nothing on the club table really interested me.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello, Myerstown from Cleona! I'll be back up there in September.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stusnyder View Post
Just pulled this chassis out of the zenith. Looks like it was never touched. Riders show 2 lytics c16 16mfd c19 12mfd. On mine, c19 is stamped 40mfd So what value do I replace it with?
Did you check the ratings label?
If the power transformer is a little larger, it might be a 25 cycle set.
Might be from the area where 25 cycle was common.
Audiokarma