Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Somebody please identify this set!

Yes, I know, I have a thing with rough looking gear sometimes.....but this set just seemed like something special, and I bought it for $5!

I just got it back from a local tube radio guru, who completely restored it (and for a bargain price ). This guy has been in the backs of literally thousands of sets and had absolutely no idea who made it or where it came from! It is a TRF set, late 20s/early 30s in design. The circuitry was so strange in the set that he literally had to look through thousands of schematics to find one even remotely close, and he had tro make educated guesses as to what some of the components were, because he'd never seen anything like it. Which is very strange fror an old US made tube radio.

His best guess is that it could be a CBS columbia or a product of Custom Radio, a small company that only lasted a year and built one-off sets during the late 20s. Not knowing what the devil it is I guess makes it that more special. And despite its appearance, it is solid and now plays flawlessly.....for an old TRF rig.

I've decided not to refinish it, as something about it seems either somewhat engaging, or eerie, I haven't decided which.

Can anyone help to tell me what the devil this is?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Inside
Old 04-14-2003, 10:48 PM
AK Member

Hi Kam;

How very very cool. Nice class project you took on there and I think you made the right decision not to refinish the cab. Keep it original at least until you find out what you got.

I have to think your best bet would be to post on yahoo groups and the like that specialize in that hobby. Maybe a google search on old wireless dealers would turn up some guys to ask. The pics are good and somebody should be able to ID it.

Keep us posted when you find out more about it...

Lefty

038° 00' 58.68" -122° 15' 39.54"
134.84 ft
Old 04-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Banned

Tim,

Good score. BTW, I think that is an early table radio.

Actually being a TRF set I think that is a real plus.

Rob
Old 04-15-2003, 02:12 PM
auscultator inveterasco

I am thinking it is more eerie than anything. It should have vampire bats flying around it I'd dump it and get a nice Bose system for the table top. That thing has not one bit of plastic, it can't be any good.
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Audiokarma
Old 04-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by VinylHanger
I am thinking it is more eerie than anything. It should have vampire bats flying around it
Looks even more creepy in a dimly lit room

Old 04-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty
Hi Kam;

I think you made the right decision not to refinish the cab. Keep it original at least until you find out what you got.

Lefty
I dunno, it might look pretty good painted white with a hunk of the upholstery from Aunt Marthas sofa for a grille cloth
Old 04-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric H

I dunno, it might look pretty good painted white with a hunk of the upholstery from Aunt Marthas sofa for a grille cloth
Tim,

I think Eric is onto something here. If you are gonna paint it do it right. Be sure not to clean or sand the item to be preserved first and be sure to use a brush. Put on a minimum of two coats. Make sure you paint it outside on a hot sunny day directly in the sun. Don't try to wipe up runs, this will add to the value later on.

Make sure you also paint the knobs! Try to get a bit of paint splatter on the power cord so that future owners can tell it was painted as a presevative measure sometime along the way.

Rob
Old 04-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Check this out....

I just received an email from a radio collector in Italy about this set, from a message I posted on some antique radio board I found through Google:

Hello Tim,
all I can say about your radio is the brand: Mercury.
Nothing more about model or what else.
Here is the pic of a set like yours, which was sold on ebay about a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Luca
Old 04-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Administrator

So, now the detective work gets that much more interesting. The cabinet on my radio was falling apart when I bought it, and 2/3 of the bottom was missing, but we managed to bring it back just far enough to be sturdy enough to house its speaker and chassis and be completely solid.

The Collectors Guide to Antique Radios mentions nothing about a Mercury company, or where it might be headquartered. It does have a Rola model K speaker....25 ohms!

Now this kinda stuff sure can make a hobby fun
Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Administrator

More info from Italy....

This keeps getting more and more hopeful!

Hi Tim,
here is also the side and the back of the radio, in the case you need some
extra infos for your restoration.
It was sold one the second half of January 2000. I gave attention to this
item, and maybe I can find ebay item # in my mail archive. This way we can
discover who won it, and you might ask that guy directly (I can still
remember his name since he's a forum member, but I want to be sure of that).
I'll see what I can do.

Luca

This means to me that this set can't be something altogether too common. Here's another pic that he sent.....I'd say this is the same thing!
Old 04-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned

But Tim,

Not to rain on your parade but....it doesn't have a catylin case, so as a collectible radio how can it be worth anything?

Rob
Old 04-17-2003, 02:27 AM
wvsaz

Whadaya mean??? I know dark brown Catalin plastic when I see it!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Thought I'd bump this thread.....still love this radio
Old 05-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

THAT'S all that matters....YOU love the radio....to those that don't, remember the immortal words of Sir John Gielgud in "Arthur"- "Go Screw Yourself"....white paint, indeed !! Hmmmph !! <grin> -Sandy G.
Audiokarma